Why does Oracle flip plans?

As most of us will be aware, every SQL query has an explain plan that lists out the steps that Oracle is going to take in order to execute the query and it helps us a lot in tuning the query too. But at times, the plan that executed well for a query today gets flipped and generates another bad plan tomorrow thereby making the query run longer.

What do you think might be the reason for these flips? Does it mean we can't trust Oracle's explain plan generating capability or are there any other circumstances on which this behavior hinges?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When you work on large volumes of data, it becomes very important that you write your queries in the most optimized way possible. As a bad query can delay your...
The current job scenario is such that several above 80% candidates are unable to land up on jobs. What adds more weight age to our resume now a days? Will...
Not sure whether I am allowed to post my blog here. I hope that's fine. https://www.thinknonsense.com/bb/2013/08/03/my-rants-about-god/ Comments welcomed.
Hello CE, I'm doing a project on servlets using NETBeans IDE 7.3. I'm not able to find web.xml file in EEB-INF folder. actually in earlier versions of netbeans we can...
Basically I know that only the source code is freely available to view or you may have to pay for modifying the source code. But what's besides that? I want...