CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Naman Agarwal • 04 Oct, 2013 • 1 like
why do ceiling fan rotates in anticlockwise direction and table fan in clockwise direction?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 04 Oct, 2013
naman2511
why do ceiling fan rotates in anticlockwise direction and table fan in clockwise direction?
https://www.crazyengineers.com/threads/direction-of-rotating-of-blades-in-the-fan.52736/
@yogi.bharadwaj • 05 Oct, 2013 because the ceiling fan is on ceiling but table fan can be treated like a motor.the ceiling fan is on roof and it should blow air in downward direction and table fan is to blow bacword air to forward.we can also say that the air mainly in natures direction and its clockwise and if the ceiling fan is also clockwise then it can't be able to suck air on roof and blow it downward.but a table fan has a large area to suck the air and blow it outwards.i think thats the reason if i am wrong pls correct me.
@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran • 05 Oct, 2013 A better observation,
I have a doubt= If the blades were turned in alternate way, can we get good air with fan rotating clockwise?
@yogi.bharadwaj • 05 Oct, 2013
SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
A better observation,
I have a doubt= If the blades were turned in alternate way, can we get good air with fan rotating clockwise?
for your an other reason occurs that is the ceiling fan is the rotor which has the winding and rotates it self of in other words it is the winding rotor which rotates.but in table fan the rotor is rotated by the external field so in other words if we said in case of winded casing the it is also in anticlockwise .i think it is sufficient to describe it my friend.if i am wrong pls correct me friends.
@Anoop Kumar • 05 Oct, 2013
pknaveen17
Since in ceiling fan the rotating part is stator (Body, the part without armature winding), but in the table fan the rotating part is rotor (the part with armature winding), so both fan's rotating direction is opposite.​
In my view this is the best answers.
@yogi.bharadwaj • 05 Oct, 2013 Both have same meaning but the way to explain is different.
@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran • 05 Oct, 2013 How if the terminals are interchanged?So that It will rotate in clockwise direction.
Anyone out there with exact answer? Please post it .
@Saandeep Sreerambatla • 05 Oct, 2013
SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
How if the terminals are interchanged?So that It will rotate in clockwise direction.
Anyone out there with exact answer? Please post it .
If you change terminals not all motors reverse the direction of rotation.
In case of a single phase ac motor which is not designed to reverse the direction it will not make any difference.

In case of Permanent Magnet DC motor, you can change the direction either by changing the connections to field winding or armature winding.

For changing the direction in a single phase ac motor you must find a way to reverse the connections to the field magnet or to the armature or rotor for reversible motors.

and motor with brushes, this will be a big problem to change the terminals.
@Naman Agarwal • 29 Oct, 2013 We can change the direction of rotation of table fan since it incorporates shaded pole induction motor. If we change the shaded pole from left extreme to right extreme the we can reverse the direction of rotation. But we dont do it because it has became the convention for rotation.
13.8k views

Related Posts

@Anil Jain · Dec 28, 2013

As suggested by fella CEan and technocrat CEan - @Abhishek Rawal I am starting this debate topic. Which Indian mobile company produces the best mobile, and are they comparable to...
21.9k views

@qaisarpk1 · Nov 4, 2008

i need soltion manual of electronic communication system by kenedy. plz tell me where from i can download it?
2.1k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 7, 2008

One of my friends asked me if I could give him a list of top companies for mechanical engineers. So, mechanical engineers on CE, please discuss about your dream company...
4.9k views

@Dastan4eva · May 24, 2015

So this is a fairly common question in interviews . I'd like your views on how to tackle the situation when you really don't have a hobby or don't know...
2.6k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Jul 11, 2011

1. The passage given below is followed by questions based on its content. Read the passage & choose the best answer 4 the questions The Death Car It was cold...
2.6k views