Why Do Youngsters Have To "Prove Themselves"?

Lot of youngsters believe that they've to 'prove themselves'. That's one common thing every reality show contestant says to the judges and now a days, I've came across students who've made up their minds to go for higher studies - but are still appearing for campus placements just to 'prove themselves'. I often wonder -

• What are you trying to prove?
  • To who are you trying to prove the above point?
  • How will this 'proving yourself' help you achieve the goals that you've set for yourself?
  • What happens if you can't prove yourself.
So, prove to me that you *need* to prove yourself.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The best answer I've heard for above questions is like this -

Because our parents think if we can't get a job - we are good for nothing.

How many agree with it?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Because our parents think if we can't get a job - we are good for nothing.
    You have picked up this debate topic I see πŸ˜€ Well I am still not a parent and hence I cannot comment on parent's psychology. The reasons are many and varied. But we should respect our parents, that is for sure. πŸ˜€

But I have often come across the fact that, if you are not even eligible for getting a job, how are you supposed to command people when you start a business with higher *DEGREE*(Mtech or MBA)?

I know the concept is totally wrong but when I argue with those people, they say, Prove it and then reject it. So what is the option left with us?

You may say that-
    if you become a successful businessman then those people will stop automatically blaming you that you cannot even score a job
    ; But you are quite wrong. Even if we end up making a bright future those people will keep on saying this. I am fed up with this kind of mentality. moreover, sometimes you cannot even ignore them even if you want to.

It is better to prove ourselves, especially when it takes just a placement -> if you are going to get rid of a life long nonsense.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    • What are you trying to prove?
    Ans: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Even if you can explain what you are trying to prove, it is called "UTTER NONSENSE"
    • To who are you trying to prove the above point?
    . It is mainly to get rid of nonsense so that people will keep quite and let us do our job quietly
    • How will this 'proving yourself' help you achieve the goals that you've set for yourself?
    Nope it doesn't help mostly.
    • What happens if you can't prove yourself.
    Nothing happens. you are anyways going to die one day even if you are successful in proving your so called *point*.

So, prove to me that you *need* to prove yourself~Whatever[/QUOTE]

@those who want proof: kindly let others achieve their goals peacefully. And let them free from achieving worthless goals.

Live and Let live πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Impressive answer, but I'm not satisfied. I assure you that there will always be people who will speak 'against' you no matter what you do. If you think if you prove yourself 'once' by doing what 'you think' 'they expect' 'you to do', then you're simply wasting time. That's never going to happen. My friend once told me that he was under pressure that all his classmates were sent 'onsite' for work and he was not. He had hard time convincing his family that his colleagues were not sent 'onsite' because they were 'smarter' than him, but it was the manager who decided who goes onsite.

It is better to prove ourselves, especially when it takes just a placement -> if you are going to get rid of a life long nonsense.
    Wishful thinkingπŸ˜’
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. for few achieving goals is a way to prove themselves to self , which pumps self confidence. Everyone is not of same physcology, few need few pushes to be motivated and be confident. When they start ' proving' to themselves , they get that pump of much needed confidence
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hmm. I think either this post will either be a commencement of a good discussion or its conclusion.

I went up to the brim of getting selected but told them that I am selected in mechanical. SO I PROVED MYSELF. πŸ˜€

- Blog updates coming soon- πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my opinion proving oneself becomes an issue if one externalises. That is, bothers about what the others think. Sort of keeping up with the Joneses.

If one is centred in self, there is none to prove oneself to.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    This question has been haunting my mind for quite some time now.

In my opinion, as youngsters, we all tend to turn from the dependent phase (with our parents) to the independent phase (where we live our own lives). So naturally, most of the youngsters 'try' to act smart by 'trying to prove themselves' before others😐. This is considered by many as an earlier sign of maturity (i.e. handling situations effectively and smartly compared to your colleagues). Even as High School students, we'd always want to be the best in whatever we do (and don't often bother how we accomplish it). But the options in high school were limited upto Class XIIth level.

For eg: If your friend can make Rs.10k through a dishonest measure, you'd also be tempted to do the same or atleast try for a similar sort of pleasure. Personally i know people who 'make money' and 'spend lavishly' just to prove themselves.

In my point of view, there are two kinds of people:
    1. Ones who try to prove themselves, and often end up nowhere.
    2. Ones who reach their destiny by listening to their hearts.

But after college (or basic Under Graduation), it's a big world out there, and the risk factor is high. So the individual tries to analyse the options put in front of him. He tries to knock at all the doors available to him, and takes the best path that he feels is suitable for him. For this, as a beginner, it is very difficult to take a decision without taking proper counselling or adviceπŸ˜•. So whether it is further studies or starting a career, an individual always tries to prove that he's the best (which is actually good).

But the point I want to stress is, what after this "Trying to prove phase"? Say, you've proved yourself, got a good job with the perfect salary, settled in life, and after a few years, what happens? Are you HAPPY with your life? I'd say about 90 percent of the people hate their job or get bored early. Ultimately what have you proved??? πŸ˜•

The greatest thing you can prove is by showing the rest of the world how happy you are, even when your hair is white and you've no teeth to chew your bite.πŸ˜’

P.S. What is the purpose of our lives???πŸ˜•
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I'm still trying to prove myself each day, so that I can grow more confidence in what I like to do.

P.S.: This topic deserves a better response! 😘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    How will this 'proving yourself' help you achieve the goals that you've set for yourself
    In order to be a leader, you gotta be best. To be best you 'have' to prove the world & yourself. Now assume a person want to build an empire in Electronics/Silicon field, so that we don't have to spread our hands to Intel, AMD, etc.& we can become Independent. In order to achieve the goal, one will need skilled people who are willing to ride with you. But when these people will join your march? Only when you have achieved something unique & proved yourself to world, else they won't even give a flying eff. A leader gotta prove the world & more than that he has to prove himself & to his/her colleagues, So they can trust on his captain.To achieve your goal, you have to best & yeah you gotta prove.

In short, If I be best in my profession then subliminally I am skilled guy who has proved himself to world, & more than that I will be able to gather people who will roll with me in my goal & to make my aim successful.So, indirectly my country will will be independent of other countries in whatever field i want(which is certainly my purpose of life & goal, right?)

anoopthefriend
    P.S. What is the purpose of our lives???πŸ˜•
    What is life, without a purpose? For some people, getting married, having small happy family & being pretty wealthy is their purpose of life. I mean Son, are you serious ? Everyone does that, that ain't a purpose.
    Purpose is to stand up for something that you believe in.Purpose of life is to bring change in society for its own better

If everyone starts thinking like, "what's reason of proving, anyways we gonn die"; then noone will ever work. haha .. sorry pardon me, but this is hilarious.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Prove to these people first you will prove to the world about you

• Your self (highly impossible if you have an ambition to excel in life )
    • Parents (till they shed a tear of joy in your success)
    If you are able to do this you can prove to the whole world
    PS : The second one is easier not the first one
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    durga
    .. for few achieving goals is a way to prove themselves to self , which pumps self confidence. Everyone is not of same physcology, few need few pushes to be motivated and be confident. When they start ' proving' to themselves , they get that pump of much needed confidence
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# on this one. I won't call it "proving" though. Just set a set of small goals for yourself, keep moving from one goal to another. Successfully completing several such small goals makes you really, really happy and before you know it, you look back and you've painted a Really Big Picture.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most popular professional software
Hey friends, help me out in finding a best book for mechanical aptitude & Reasoning.....
Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem at work. I have people downloading files using torrent clients.😑 How do I stop this? I am thinking of blocking all...
Hi friends,😁 This is Daniel Smith and I am new to this forum. I am really feeling good to be out here since I am a regular reader of the...
please give me concept of zero turn mechanism in tata pixel πŸ˜€