Why do we use carbon brush in dc generator instead of copper brush?

why we are using carbon brush in dc generator instead of copper brush?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Thread moved to Electrical Engineering Section]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I believe nowadays the brushes is a mix of both carbon and a bit of copper. The issue is to seek balance between the abrasion of the commutator and the wearing of the brushes.

But, looking at the extreme end of things, a full copper brush will cause great abrasion of the commutator. Add carbon, you'll maintain the longer life of the commutator, but the brushes themselves would wear out over time.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    ash
    I believe nowadays the brushes is a mix of both carbon and a bit of copper. The issue is to seek balance between the abrasion of the commutator and the wearing of the brushes.

But, looking at the extreme end of things, a full copper brush will cause great abrasion of the commutator. Add carbon, you'll maintain the longer life of the commutator, but the brushes themselves would wear out over time.
    Could not have said any better.
    Mainly because of carbon last longer when they grind with copper, and it's soft and has a lower resistance.
    If u think of touching any thing harder than copper in the commutator, do you it will last even a minute. 😲 I think not.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I made a video of an experiment where I make some simple modifications to the inside of a motor to turn it into a pulser used to recharge some batteries....
Can anyone tell me it is possible store the transmission on Frequency Modulated Waves. It is easy to recreate it but is it possible to spontaneously record or store the...
Hello! Are you organizing event in your college? Are you a media company that organizes engineering conferences? Are you planning for an entrepreneurship summits? Are you organizing any event that...
Are you afraid of Java? No need to be anymore because now you can have "Fun with Java" in this thread. 😀 After seeing very less no of Java programmers...
Hi friends, I am here to share our Ideas related to computer field, movies, pictures etc. Thank you to all