CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@mathiarasan • 09 Feb, 2009
why we are using carbon brush in dc generator instead of copper brush?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 09 Feb, 2009 [Thread moved to Electrical Engineering Section]
@Ashraf HZ • 09 Feb, 2009 I believe nowadays the brushes is a mix of both carbon and a bit of copper. The issue is to seek balance between the abrasion of the commutator and the wearing of the brushes.

But, looking at the extreme end of things, a full copper brush will cause great abrasion of the commutator. Add carbon, you'll maintain the longer life of the commutator, but the brushes themselves would wear out over time.
@Rifaa • 09 Feb, 2009
ash
I believe nowadays the brushes is a mix of both carbon and a bit of copper. The issue is to seek balance between the abrasion of the commutator and the wearing of the brushes.

But, looking at the extreme end of things, a full copper brush will cause great abrasion of the commutator. Add carbon, you'll maintain the longer life of the commutator, but the brushes themselves would wear out over time.
Could not have said any better.
Mainly because of carbon last longer when they grind with copper, and it's soft and has a lower resistance.
If u think of touching any thing harder than copper in the commutator, do you it will last even a minute. 😲 I think not.
5k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Nov 21, 2015

Presenting before you a 360 degree camera is a Japanese imaging & electronics giant - Ricoh Company Ltd. as they launch their all-new handheld device - Ricoh THETA S for...
4.5k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 1, 2013

I've a spare modem, Linksys E2000 which I want to configure as a range extender or wireless repeater. There are DD-WRT firmware versions available that 'promise' to allow to do...
9.1k views

@Himanshu Sidhu · Apr 10, 2013

hello engineers...... i m making a robot for the robowars competitions and i need your help for selecting motors for motion and weapon. weight of the robot will be around...
8.3k views

@Abhishek Rawal · Nov 21, 2013

As title mentions, I would like to know the difference between Electric Field Density & Electric Field Intensity. Illuminate me please.
10.5k views

@Ankita Katdare · Dec 6, 2015

In November 2012, a loyal member of CrazyEngineers Community @Manish Goyal (a Computer Science Engineer) asked a simple question 'How does TrueCaller work? and we all started discussing how we...
4.8k views