Why do we have so many food delivery startups?

I really think that food delivery is just a 'logistics' problem that has already been solved. Yet, I continue to see new startups coming up in this space every new week; with promise to do something new. I'm not sure if there's any innovation going on at all; but many founders think that it's actually a problem that needs to be addressed.

Show me a startup that allows me to 3D print my food and I'll call it innovation. I'm looking to understand what do our fellow engineers and entrepreneurs think about food delivery startups in India; your experience with ordering food etc.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The younger lot do not seem too anxious to cook. With populations above 10 million multicultural people metros like Bangalore have a large enough market for such ventures. Today's New Indian Express (Bangalore) has a large presentation on this very topic.
    Old timers like me prefer home cooked food. Many of these do not deliver beyond a 3 km radius.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Old timers like me prefer home cooked food
    That's an opportunity for the new startups. Something that the 'Mumbai Dabbawalas' have been doing for decades. My question is about launching new apps for food delivery. It's a pure logistics business that needs to focus on speed and efficiency more than other traditional forms of logistics services.

PS: I'd assume that most of the youngsters in Bangalore are from outstation; who can't have the luxury of home-made food. If someone discovers a way to deliver mom-made / home-made food 1000 km away; then THAT would be the market disrupter! 😀 I hope one of our CEan does it some day.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How about this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    A.V.Ramani
    How about this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Haha, that is pretty cool. Has anyone actually tried this yet?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    How about this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Just watched that video. Really amazing concept. The lengths that moms go to is out-of-this-world awesome. 😀
    I am going to recommend this service to some of my friend's moms soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many Many happy returns of the day @SarathKumar Chandrasekaran We hope you are having a great day. All the best for days to come. 🎉
The government of India has taken steps to setup 70 supercomputers to accelerate research work in various domains including weather and defence. These supercomputers will have varying speed of operations...
I am a recently passed out civil engineer and wish to know about how does one get into Central Water Commission. I have deep interest in water resources engineering and...
Self-driving cars come with a ton of advantages- They are managed by machines, and we can expect them to cause lesser accidents. No 'drunk-driving' incidents. Safe for all types of...
Digital India program is getting stronger with every passing month. Government officials working on this project have taken an initiative for analysis of malware and cleaning of botnets so that...