Why do teams like to use Slack, when you can get most of it done using traditional chatting tools (like Skype)?

We've been using Slack for internal communication and it works really well. I'd say it's helped us cut down on our internal emails by almost 50%. 

Can you share your reason for using Slack? 

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Requesting responses from #-Link-Snipped-#‍ , #-Link-Snipped-#‍ , #-Link-Snipped-#‍ 
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

I am using it for some clients.
    That helps to have things managed very nicely. Conversation at one place for specific topic also a big thumbsup !

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

What I like the most about Slack (in no particular order) -

1. It lets all team members send messages to each other even when the other person is offline. (aka Offline support - which was missing on Skype)
    2. Ease of file sharing. Slack seems to have a great system in place for managing files uploaded on its channels. I find it really easy to use their search feature to find the screenshots we share for work)
    3. Ease of tagging the entire channel or entire groups on your team at Slack. This feature is great for sending reminders to the team. 
    4. I love the font and basic colors used on Slack. They are simple, yet professional and really easy on the eyes. Is it just me? :D

Tagging our VoiCE team to see what they feel about Slack.

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ :) Do let us know your thoughts guys.

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

In my opinion because of its easy usability. Slack is way better - easy and clean than Skype(personal view). I was comfortable with it from very first day but still juggling in Skype between passwords,invitations ,for business and for non-business.? 

• Amit Jha
    Amit Jha

When it comes to maintaining a professional communication, both the ease and the environment of the messaging platform is important. One wouldn't use a platform like Slack for having day to day communication with their friends. They usually prefer Whatsapp, Hike, Skype, or even other platforms but not Slack. 

Hence, it easily separates the professional discussions aside and avoids the trouble of sending some non-professional messages into a professional group. Further, Slack allows creating Workspace which I think is great as it helps in managing both individual and group communication at the same time. 

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh

Big fan of Slack. I've used Lync and Skype in the past, but have had to struggle every time I had to refer to an earlier discussion/attachment. Slack makes it so easy to revisit older discussions, and I like how it lets companies organize teams via #channels - all unified and accessible with a single click. Say If I'm working in two teams/projects at the same time, I can communicate with both teams using a single chat window. Huge win.

And that it lets you connect your Google Drive files directly is another plus.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Say If I'm working in two teams/projects at the same time, I can communicate with both teams using a single chat window. Huge win.

Yeah, that's a good point. We use slack to communicate with the author team and also for internal communication. Btw, what do our authors #-Link-Snipped-#‍ , #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ think about communicating over slack?

PS: I'm thinking we should have our own 'Slack' here on CE ? . 

• Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee

Why slack? Because it allows me to have a conversation with myself. Most of the time, I find it way too mundane to use any note app. It just doesn't give me a the +ve vibe I require. With Slack, I can just note down the important stuff and paste it into a message to me. 

Except for this one, I like its UI. It works as a chatting application but with more features that I can add or delete features as per requirement. It treats a group or company as a whole different world itself. It allows you to have a reminder, to set up calls, have a 1-to-1 conversation or 1-to-many conversations via a channel. So, as in whole, I like the Slack environment.

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

you have chat threads in slack,

Sometimes when customer give me list of bugs then I can directly create a chat thread for each issue individually,

2nd Slack have it's own set of API, I can sync slack chat with third party php application

• Amol Agarwal
    Amol Agarwal

I like slack because it is available on all platforms. You can edit sent messages as well. File sharing is easy and UI is also clean. And as #-Link-Snipped-#‍ pointed out, it allows conversation with yourself.

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya

Slack has an API. 

I automate various things (trigger based communications) to my team and life is good :) ... Skype or Hangouts or WhatsApp doesn't give me that flexibility that Slack does.

Some examples of how we @ 13 Llama Interactive use Slack - 

1. Message #maintainenance channel when the site goes down :)
    2. Every day post an update on the #adwords channel of how our campaigns are doing 
    3. Every monday post updates on the improvements for our campaigns
    4. We also use Trello, so when cards are updated, message respective channels for updates
    5. Linked our website's site chat to Slack. Team members on Slack can chat to site visitors
    6. When a lead is sent and its an urgent lead, take for example any lead that goes from our PPC offerings page, gets sent to slack to the respective campaign owners (me)
    7. When the brand gets mentioned on Social Media, an IFTTT recipe posts that on the #social channel

Need I go on?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I've experimented with sending alert messages directly to Slack and it works great. 

I'm thinking of creating a mini-clone here for our CEans to interact. It'd be cool, I guess. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

I have not used slack so much , but I use flowdock a lot and I see it has all the facilities that slack has.. so why do we use it- easy to create /communicate/share videos/ images and tables, and it works fast and easy!!

my director used to keep this in his status flowdock>>> phone/email :) 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can anyone get into the universities like - National University Of Singapore or Nanyang Technological University.What is the procedure, eligibility criteria and why they are so famous? Let us...
Want to work on Laravel- World's #1 for PHP development framework platform but don't know how to install its development environment- Valet on Windows 10 machine?Well, then here you can...
hello...! i am a b.tech graduate with 60% in mechanical engineering..i have more interest in automotive designing field for that i have to do automotive design or industrial design in...
Come Monday and my Twitter feed is filled with jokes about how bad everyone's Monday is. And here I'm feeling excited as Mondays for me are a kind of 'feeling...