Why do shrinkage occur in castings?

hey guys.. Why do shrinkage occur in castings? explain the changes in the atomic level....

Replies

• saptm
    saptm
    See in casting we uses molten metals in the mould or pattern.As we all know in liquid molecules are loosely packed.So as the casting solidifies,the molecules packed themselves tightly as a result the shrinkage happens. That's the reason we are using drifts or a bigger pattern or mould for casting to avoid these types of problems.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    saptm
    That's the reason we are using drifts or a bigger pattern or mould for casting to avoid these types of problems.
    Would you mind explaining this a little more?
  • saptm
    saptm
    ya sure dude [๐Ÿ˜€]
    we already knows that after solidification,the cast contracted.And since,we usually use sand dust for a mold or pattern due to which there come some roughness in the cast. So that's why we make the pattern bigger than the actual size of the cast so that we just get rid of all these allowance/defects.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    saptm
    ya sure dude [๐Ÿ˜€]
    we already knows that after solidification,the cast contracted.And since,we usually use sand dust for a mold or pattern due to which there come some roughness in the cast. So that's why we make the pattern bigger than the actual size of the cast so that we just get rid of all these allowance/defects.
    Yes that is correct. But can we deal with atomic structures a bit. I am curious too ๐Ÿ˜€
  • saptm
    saptm
    Issue
    Yes that is correct. But can we deal with atomic structures a bit. I am curious too ๐Ÿ˜€
    What types of atomic structure you are taking about,i mean FCC,BCC HCP or SCC?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    saptm
    What types of atomic structure you are taking about,i mean FCC,BCC HCP or SCC?
    I am talking about the grain structures. You see, as a casting is cooled, it shrinks. It is more of a function of its grain structure. Can you explain about it more? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Issue
    I am talking about the grain structures. You see, as a casting is cooled, it shrinks. It is more of a function of its grain structure. Can you explain about it more? ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am not certain of what you are seeking but basic cooling of iron goes like this:
    Delta ferrite - Molten iron (BCC Structure)
    Austenite - (FCC Structure)
    Delta ferrite - Stable form of iron (BCC Structure)

At high temperatures the grains will have higher Internal energy so they will vibrate eratically and move further away from eachother (expand). Upon solidification this internal energy is released by giving up the heat energy it took to become a molten liquid. As they lose their heat energy the amplitude of the particles' vibrations is reduced significantly and they revert back to the solid form.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is probably old hat to many that haunt this section. Who knows? May be useful to some novices. I for one do not use a laptop, so I pass...
Name: sandeep s m *Engineering Trade: Electronics and communication Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India *Occupation: Working as a system engineer in alpha design technologies, bangalore (www.adtl.co.in) Work Experience: 2.2 years in...
i am new to the CE, in the forums i haven't seen any one working in the domain FPGA. pls any one works inform me. thank you regards sandeep
CEans, Our eagle eyed members already caught us during our beta testing phase and it's now official. CrazyEngineers Home [ https://www.crazyengineers.com ] and sub-sections have been upgraded to offer a...
As we all know that Create The Future Contest is up, GF and me are looking for working in team. We have a couple of concepts and would like to...