Why do most IIT websites look so outdated?

I went through all the 'oldie' IIT websites - which are supposed to be the mecca of engineering in India and was disappointed to notice that most of the websites are so 1999. Except for the IIT KGP, #-Link-Snipped-# all other IIT websites seem to be designed by amateurs.

What do you think?

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    Are we discussing about the asthetic aspects of the website or the technical soundness?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    First of all, a really astute observation by Kaustubh, and something that has annoyed me for a long time. Them websites look like someone designed them in the nineties and nobody's updated the design and outlay for two decades.

Notice that this is a problem with ALL state-owned universities. Not only IITs, but all the NITs and even IISc have the same antediluvian design going for them. I wish they could do something more visible, like putting the R&D achievements and new discoveries/inventions being given the front page..... and the director's addresses and whatever being relegated to some corner.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - everything looks very 'basic'. A good looking website keeps users interested. We tend to visit all IIT website to search for news and happenings; but they're never up to date, even with the news items.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Yes, that's absolutely true. Things can be kept simple yet interesting. Just need to put some creativity in to it.
    And this is not just the case of IITs alone. Nearly all website under the various departments of the government suffer the same fate.
    Hopefully, sooner rather than later, they will come out of their 'Retro mode' and be more creative.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Gurjap
    Notice that this is a problem with ALL state-owned universities. Not only IITs, but all the NITs and even IISc have the same antediluvian design going for them.
    Not only universities, even the Indian Army website, the in-famous IRCTC and most importantly the election sites! 😖 They all suck.

It is time that they make reforms to this website - #-Link-Snipped-#
    It covers the guidelines for website development that have been developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC) and adopted by Department of Administrative reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG). Guidelines address the entire lifecycle of a website, web portal/application right from its conceptualisation to design, development, maintenance and management.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    I think the sorry state of affairs is because of the 'chalta hai' attitude. They know they have nothing to lose even if they keep it bland. People will come to them anyway.
    Pardon me for deviating from the topic a bit but I want to bring this also to notice:
    Take for example Prasar Bharti. They have the best of equipment and infrastructure available to them but that does not translate into exceptional content or programmes. Perhaps they know they will not be going 'out of business', ever, and that gives them the freedom to work or not to work on details on their own free will.
    Add to that the ever-annoying 'red-tapism' and you have the deadly concoction generating 'non-innovation'.
    Apologies for being so harsh, but its sad to see all this.
    KUDOS to IIT Kgp for the good work. The eldest shows the way, the other IITs would hopefully follow its footsteps.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It is rather confusing to see the extra-awesome website put up by the IIT students for their annual tech fests. If you can do THAT, why won't you just fix up the college's website - that anyway the students would visit more often!
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    AbraKaDabra
    It is rather confusing to see the extra-awesome website put up by the IIT students for their annual tech fests. If you can do THAT, why won't you just fix up the college's website - that anyway the students would visit more often!
    Perhaps they do not have the authorization to do that.
    Or maybe the difference between work and recreation prevents them from doing so. Doing something for the tech fests once in a while is recreation. But improving and updating the institute's website on a regular basis is work. That, for some, might be burdensome. You know, burden works like poison for creativity.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I see an opportunity here: maintaining the university website could be a good part-time job for students, and the university could pay for it. I am certain this generous idea has struck other minds in the right places, and if you know of any such instance where it has been put into practice, please let us all know here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

my laptop has a metal body...sometimes i feel shocked when i touched particular portion of my laptop..and it is not so frequent..what might be the reason behind this..is this happenning...
why are we using only 5volts or 12 volts as voltages for the electronic appliances???
Get ready for affordable and fully electric car in soon to going to launch in India now. Expected price is going to be INR. 12Lakhs (cardekho(dot)com) . Quick specs: Top...
Between parallel universes and alien life, many of us science fiction geeks have never really cared to consider the possibility that 100,000 years later we could still be in our...
Just stumbled upon this awesome video where a wooden Rube Goldberg Machine modeled after a cow's gastrointestinal system showing how it eats and shits stuff.