Why do I have to type "WWW" in browser's address bar to access Google?

CEans,

I've been experiencing a strange problem since last few days. In order to access Google, I must type the complete URL, that is Google. I'm experiencing the problem with Firefox 3.

Earlier, the browser would take me to correct destination without having to type www before the domain name. The browser however works fine for other URLs including Gmail.

Any clue?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It still works for me, Firefox version 3.0.3.

If its not related to software problem, perhaps theres some problem with your nearest nameserver that holds all the dns information. I believe the www prefix would soon be discarded in the future, but for now, some name/dns servers still need it. Also, perhaps the "https://google.com" entry is missing at the moment on the local nameserver. That's sometimes thats the case, as entries are always changing! DNS propogation always takes a while.

You've got to marvel the technology behind TCP/IP. Simply amazing stuff.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Yeah it works on my FF 3.0.3 too. In fact, when I type that, it either takes me to the most recent or the most viewed page in the history. But varies every time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anybody suggest me a book for microwave devices & circuits(undergraduate level) & also a book on microcontroller programming in c.
hi everybody i am Jitesh Sheth. I have Completed B.E.(Comp) and am preparing for CAT.
many say that no body landed on moon,is it true
India has won the coveted Border Gavaskar test series against Australia by 173 runs. This was a historic series that carved plenty of landmarks. Tendulkar became the highest run scorer...
Can any1 give me some info bout CV AVR.....wat is the software used for???anybody who has used it???