Why do electric machines take more starting current?

Hello, This is T. Thinakaran, an electrical and electronics engineer. I want to know -
Why do electric machines take more starting current? Please provide reasons in replies.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    T.THINAKARAN
    why machine take more starting current?
    Bot every Machine taking too much current. Can you give details about the machine?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    godfather
    Bot every Machine taking too much current. Can you give details about the machine?
    I think by machine he means the motor. Electrical people call them machines...😁

Well, taking the example of an induction motor, when the machine is at rest, both stator & rotor have speed of 0 RPM. As soon as you start it, the stator will produce a field that would be like 1500 RPM while the rotor will be at 0 RPM. Following to Lenz law, the rotor will try to make this difference as low as possible, so it has to jump from 0 to 1500 asap. For this, it'll just draw tremendous current. For this reason, we utilize starters.

Some citations may be needed as I am not very good with these motors but I believe that's the reason.
  • T.THINAKARAN
    T.THINAKARAN
    thankyou for given answers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple just sued Samsung for Pinch&zoom, like looking tablet and icons. My question is how can apple able to patent something which is an idea and shown publicly. One more...
"MindBend 2012" is a 4-day annual technical fest organized by SVNIT, Surat, Gujarat, from 10th to 13th October, 2012. There will be guest lectures, tech quiz's, tech expo, robotics workshop....
As we know Apple won patent infringement case over Samsung, and Smartphone World is surely going to change in recent time. The manufacturing of Samsung S3, Ace series, I9100 &...
"Shodha 2k12" is a National Level Technical Fest organized by Department of Mechanical Engineering of Sree Chaitanya College of Engineering, Karimnagar, Andhra Pradesh on 21st & 22nd September, 2012. Last...
give some suggestions for naming symposium and events names