Why are piston rings used?

What is the use of piston rings?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    There are mainly two purposes of pistons as follows:
    1) Act as a seal so that the oil from the sump during lubrication would not enter into combustion chamber which may result in blue gas.
    2)Another one for the lubrication purpose which help in decreasing the friction between the piston and cylinder wall.

There are two piston rings as follows:
    1)Oil rings-lubrication purpose
    2)Compression rings - act as seal from combustion chamber and part below the piston.
    @#-Link-Snipped-# hope you understand .piston-rings
  • Blv NAGABABU
    Blv NAGABABU
    in the above fig piston rings are placed 1 inch from the crown of the piston then there is chance to develop a friction I.e., above the piston rings how it is reduce
    Blvn Lakshman
    in the above fig piston rings are placed 1 inch from the crown of the piston then there is chance to develop a friction I.e., above the piston rings how it is reduce
    Above the piston, There would be no contact between the piston wall and cylinder wall.
    Piston rings major purpose is the reduction of friction and act as a seal between the area above piston and below piston.Piston rings are the only parts to get contact with the cylinder wall.So circumferential area above or below piston rings would not have contact with cylinder walls .Hope you understand,Any doubt?Feel free to ask friend.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Spice Smart Flo Edge has made its appearance on the e-commerce website Saholic and it can be yours for just Rs.3299. Now from the price tag you might have guessed...
Quick look of Nexus 5 packed with Android Kitkat 4.4 One messaging app Hangout. Better Google Now Support lower end devices with 512 mb ram If anyone finds kitkat 4.4...
It is official. Google has released the latest version of its Android Platform with Android 4.4 Kitkat update. KitKat brings with it a big load of useful and interesting features....
Hi All, I have 4+ years of experience in Development(Microsoft Technologies). Now, I would like to change from Development to Testing. Is it possible to do so? If yes, then...
The event BarBot 2013, part of Bay Area Science week, had accommodated world's greatest robot bartenders in the two-night exhibition that took place in downtown San Francisco. With the reception...