why are oxygen storage tanks kept vertical

hello guys
i found that a liquid oxygen storage tank in an industry is kept vertical and that of lpg is kept horizontal. why is it so??

details
the liquid oxygen from oxygen carriers is fed into a storage tank which is kept vertical (pressure inside it is somewhere around 11 kg/cm2). this liquid oxygen is then fed to a vapouriser from the outlet of the tank which is placed at the bottom of the tank.

conclusions
since the tank is kept vertical it is difficult to carry out maintenance work as the tank is some 10 meters high. also it is difficult to maintain a 10 meter massive structure stand vertically. if the reason is to pump the liquid oxygen through the vapouriser with the pressure head, why cant we use a pump to do the same????

Replies

• Aiken
    Aiken
    It can be stored both ways it does not make any different but when it’s in use the outlet must be on the top of the cylinder so you can get the gas out in gas phase if the outlet is not on the top you will get liquid out not gas (inside the gas cylinder its liquid not gas that’s why it’s called LPG which means Liquefied Petroleum Gas)

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • John Rhodes
    John Rhodes
    Oxygen is rarely held at pressures higher than 200 bar / 3000 psi due to the risks of fire triggered by high temperatures caused by adiabatic heating when the gas changes pressure when moving from one vessel to another.All equipment coming into contact with high pressure oxygen must be "oxygen clean" and "oxygen compatible" to reduce the risk of fire. "Oxygen clean" means the removal of any substance that could act as a source of ignition. "Oxygen compatible" means that internal components must not burn readily or degrade easily in a high pressure oxygen environment.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm working on matlab and i have a picture composed from vertical white bands with black background. So I want to know how to scan my matrix and find when...
I just got following mail and I couldn't refrain from sharing it with all of you - please send me some of the crazy and deadly inventions of polymer engineers...
I am a final year student of electrical electronics branch.I am doing my project on phase angle control of SCR using micro-controller , using which we were going to control...
Hi, if you too are a Developer, IT professional, Decision-maker, Designer, Solution Architect, Technology Manager or a Student, this will definitely excite you. Microsoft is back this year with the...
Communication engineers, please help me understand the difference between EV-DO and CDMA 1X. I'm totally clueless.