Why are fishes not able to survive in distilled water?

Why are fishes not able to survive in distilled water?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    maybe because the essential minerals are absent...:?:

due to this less nutrient and mineral content, this distilled water is used for the purposes like batteries, engines, chemical lab purpose and not for the consumption purposes.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Are you sure fishes are not able to survive?

If yes then it could be the lack of minerals mostly Iron!!
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yes ES the distilled water is not used for consumption...it is used only for batteries , lab purposes,etc.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Salt water fish at least can be, that is the preferred type of water to use as a base since it is chlorine free.
  • kumar_nitin
    kumar_nitin
    hello ES, hello CIVILPRINCESS,
    actual reason of this answer is OSMOSIS and REVERSE OSMOSIS processes..
    as the water doesn't have any dissolved minerals, the ones in fish' body began to move in distilled water, simultaneously, fish does nog gets able to respire in it also, this is because the oxygen content is extremely low to nil.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Because when we boil water the dissolved gases including oxygen escape. And fish too need oxygen for their survival.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    but i dont think distilled water is boiled....😕

@kumar :i really didnt think in the reverse osmosis view..😀
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Civilprincess: You cannot distill water before boiling it first. During distillation, water is boiled and is converted into steam, the steam is then allowed to condense. This way the water is 100% pure.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why is fire hot? Since clouds contain tiny water droplets, why are rainbows not permanently present? What makes the earth rotate? Why is the Earth's core hot? What caused it...
Diamond is a good thermal conductor. But it is an excellent electrical insulator. How?
hi, this is the first time i am trying out such problem. give me ideas "Consider a mountain which has a height of 300meters above sea level. The plains at...
Hello, CE's I' m looking for buying a sony's mini laptop(10'') with atom processor... but i'm in one confusion will this atom processor supports for multiple applications... please if some...
Hi Everyone , i'm a computer sciences engineering student from morocco , and i'm wondering how can i got a Summer Training for this year , and if it's possible...