Why aircrafts power in 400Hz frequency?

in general in India we have 50Hz frequency of power distribution is using and others 60Hzs,i was shocked when gone through the aircraft power distribution where it takes 400Hz of frequency.what is the need such high frequency of power is used in aircrafts?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    arunchary
    in general in India we have 50Hz frequency of power distribution is using and others 60Hzs,i was shocked when gone through the aircraft power distribution where it takes 400Hz of frequency.what is the need such high frequency of power is used in aircrafts?
    In order to reduce the weight of the aircraft, high frequency is used. The generator provides AC power with the help of an alternation. In General, High frequency alternator will have less copper coils and thus reduce the space and weight.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    aarthivg
    In order to reduce the weight of the aircraft, high frequency is used. The generator provides AC power with the help of an alternation. In General, High frequency alternator will have less copper coils and thus reduce the space and weight.
    That is interesting #-Link-Snipped-#. Will you please share some more information on this please. I was unaware about this.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Harshad Italiya
    That is interesting #-Link-Snipped-#. Will you please share some more information on this please. I was unaware about this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#. Use of 400 hz frequency is mainly to reduce the weight of the aircraft.Flux is In United states, they have even tried with 800 hz. But it does not work out well, to deal with the reactance of the generator.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i got some information in Wiki Answers as:
    Although most all utility power in the world use either 50 Hz or 60 Hz, 400 Hz power systems are typically used in large aircraft. The reason for the higher frequency is that most of the power system parts, especially the 400 Hz alternator and 400 Hz motors are much smaller compared with similar 60 Hz equipment of the same power rating.
    In aircraft, every pound saved in equipment weight, equates to about a five pound savings in gross weight during flight. When equipment weight is reduced, both airframe structure and fuel load can also be reduced.

As flux is inversely proportional to speed and speed is proportional to frequency
    Higher the frequency lesser the flux required.Lesser the flux,lesser the core size.Lesser the size means less weight.Hence the pay load can be increased.
    Also frequency above 400 hz not taken because the radiation takes place beyond this.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ever wondered why your transformer in the SMPS is really small Higher frequency lesser the size of the transformer

Same goes here higher frequency lesser the size of the generator

This is mainly cos the material used in the rotor of the alternator varies just like the variation in core of high frequency transformer

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We all have seen the Ambassador, the car loosely based on the Morris Oxford III, manufactured by Hindustan Motors at its Uttarpara plant near Kolkata West Bengal, the choice of...
This is my experience of attending the CCAT 2013 exam held on 7th July 2013. Section A ------------ In the reading comprehension type question, around 5 questions were asked from...
Researchers have succeeded in developing a new type of window that brings your wild imagination to reality. The window blocks sound but lets the air flow through it; incredible, isn't...
Film based cameras have been long dead now, I have ditched mine since eight years and moved on to its digital counterpart and I am sure that all of you...
One of the biggest shipbuilders of Russia has undertaken the responsibility of building the world’s first floating nuclear power plant and making it operational by the year 2016. The main...