CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Sanyam Khurana • 30 Mar, 2013

Could anyone please tell me, why flywheel is named as a flywheel?

?

@Kaustubh Katdare • 30 Mar, 2013 That's interesting question. I believe the reason lies in the nature of operation of a flywheel. A typical flywheel would be floating in space without any friction and storing energy by virtue of its rotational speed. But for practical purposes a flywheel would be mounted along its axis with the use of special bearings to minimise the friction.

So, it'd be a wheel that flies in the air and stores energy - maybe that's why it's called Fly Wheel.

That leads to another question related to flywheels in my mind - I've not heard of any practical (or industrial) application of Flywheel. My best guess is that it's used in automobiles. Can someone tell me where exactly is flywheel used and what type of bearings are used? Also, what are the typical sizes of flywheels?
@AnuragChatterjee • 30 Mar, 2013 Because it is a wheel which works as an inertial energy storage device, it absorbs mechanical energy and serves as reservoir, storing energy when the requirement is above the desirable amount, and then utilizing that extra amount when their is a lack of energy. basically the main function is to smoothen out the variations in the speed of the crank-shaft caused by torque variations. In general i can say that it is a wheel which flies while storing energy.
@atul-namdeo • 31 Mar, 2013 Plz tell me how to ask query from a member??
@Sanyam Khurana • 31 Mar, 2013 Thanks all for Replying.. actually I was also thinking that it files in air, without any friction is the reason it's called flywheel, but I need some one who could confirm this..!!
@Ramani Aswath • 31 Mar, 2013 Flywheels are essentially inertial systems. They can be tiny but running at very high rpm as gyro compasses in space ships do.
They have no function except as inertial masses.
@Ramani Aswath • 31 Mar, 2013
atul-namdeo
Plz tell me how to ask query from a member??
You can tag the member. like this:
@atul-namdeo, what is your take on this?
@gohm • 01 Apr, 2013 I think this video of Leonardo Da Vinci's flywheel might illustrate where the name came from.
@atul-namdeo • 01 Apr, 2013
A.V.Ramani
You can tag the member. like this:
@atul-namdeo, what is your take on this?
Sir, if i want to take any guideline from u.. How can i directly ask from u?? When i am visiting your profile there is no such option..
@Kaustubh Katdare • 01 Apr, 2013
atul-namdeo
Sir, if i want to take any guideline from u.. How can i directly ask from u?? When i am visiting your profile there is no such option..
Ask questions on forum and you will receive response. Use the @[tag] feature to tag members who you want to alert.
6.7k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 12, 2013

It is a day to rejoice for the Harley Davidson fans, because the US based company has launched its new generation Street Glide in India. Priced at Rs. 29 lakh...
3.1k views

@NAGOORJOHN · Oct 9, 2015

HOW MUSH TIME MUST SPENT IN GATE STU-DING EVERY DAY FOR MECHANICAL I WANT IMPORTANT TOPICS LIST
7.7k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 8, 2015

Newly proposed IIM Nagpur will start accepting applications for admissions for 2015-2016 session. This will be the first ever batch of the IIM Nagpur and about 60 seats will be...
5.2k views

@Satya Swaroop Dash · Jun 8, 2015

As numerical increments get added to our favourite smartphone every year we quickly follow suit and replace them with something better. Some predict that an average American changes his/her smartphone...
3.5k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 10, 2013

A ton of things are happening in the Indian e-Commerce scene. Flipkart, the online megastore that operates out of Bangalore, India had to change the way they operate because of...
3.1k views