Why 4GB RAM actually have the capacity of 3.7 GB.similar 2GB (1.8 GB)

why 4GB RAM actually have the capacity of 3.7 GB.similarly 2GB(1.8GB)

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    As per manufacturers convention, 1GB = 1000 MB as opposed to 1024 MB thats originally present. Hence you loose 24 MB per GB of space.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    [Prototype]
    As per manufacturers convention, 1GB = 1000 MB as opposed to 1024 MB thats originally present. Hence you loose 24 MB per GB of space.
    What do you answer for this?
    Hard Disk Capacity: 465.76GB for 500GB Hard Disk
    You can check yours, and reply.

Your answer is wrong.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    mreccentric
    What do you answer for this?
    Hard Disk Capacity: 465.76GB for 500GB Hard Disk
    You can check yours, and reply.

Your answer is wrong.
    You need to go down the table, 1 MB = 1000 KB, 1 KB = 1000 B and so on... There's loss at every stage.

Calculate that and you'll land on something convincing. Over this, the available disc space also depends the type of formatting you've done.

On the side note, there's a polite way to criticize someone instead saying like that. Looks pretty rude & disrespecting.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    [Prototype]
    You need to go down the table, 1 MB = 1000 KB, 1 KB = 1000 B and so on... There's loss at every stage.

Calculate that and you'll land on something convincing. Over this, the available disc space also depends the type of formatting you've done.

On the side note, there's a polite way to criticize someone instead saying like that. Looks pretty rude & disrespecting.
    You're right now buddy. I scratched my head about this some months ago. But, i'm sure that the Hard Disk capacity use different concept. Because, the disk capacity is not dependent on formatting, it only comes into role when you place a file in that hard disk. Ask me, if you want further explanation.

Sorry if you felt me being rude. It was not intentional, sometimes i talk like that. Depends on mood.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    [Prototype]

Dude!! that is not the case, some memory in case of RAM is "hardware reserved", and hence the available memory is less.
    In HDD similar is the case. The NTFS file system creates many files to store Master File Tables and directory entries, so the memory is less (If u format using FAT32 u will get full memory, but NTFS trades that memory for better speed and security).
    And lastly, the concept that u told 1MB=1000KB etc. is used in case of Internet Providers, so hope it clears all doubts!!๐Ÿ˜€
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    mreccentric
    You're right now buddy. I scratched my head about this some months ago. But, i'm sure that the Hard Disk capacity use different concept. Because, the disk capacity is not dependent on formatting, it only comes into role when you place a file in that hard disk. Ask me, if you want further explanation.

Sorry if you felt me being rude. It was not intentional, sometimes i talk like that. Depends on mood.
    Its alright!

Well, the formatting thing, I've noticed it on the Flash drives. I realized it shouldn't be valid on HDD.

Just for everyone, Your 1 GB = 0.931 GB of Manufacturer. How do you arrive at that? Well, 1,000,000,000 / (1024 x 1024 x 1024) which if you multiply with your HDD capacity will give you the actual space available for storage.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    rahul69
    Dude!! that is not the case, some memory in case of RAM is "hardware reserved", and hence the available memory is less.
    In HDD similar is the case. The NTFS file system creates many files to store Master File Tables and directory entries, so the memory is less (If u format using FAT32 u will get full memory, but NTFS trades that memory for better speed and security).
    And lastly, the concept that u told 1MB=1000KB etc. is used in case of Internet Providers, so hope it clears all doubts!!๐Ÿ˜€
    Nopes, take out your HDD and check its surface. They generally write a note in small font, 1 GB - 10000... bytes

Yes you're correct about the reservation of memory on RAM which I forgot to mention.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    [Prototype]
    Nopes, take out your HDD and check its surface. They generally write a note in small font, 1 GB - 10000... bytes

Yes you're correct about the reservation of memory on RAM which I forgot to mention.
    But here is doubt : According to u, "Your 1 GB = 0.931 GB of Manufacturer" and I calculated for my HDD and it came out that for each 1GB, I was getting 0.956 GB, so how did Manufacturer gave higher than expected??๐Ÿ‘€
    Is it that these limits are applied approximately?
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    reservation of memory? can some one elaborate?
    So is this the reason why 1gb is equivalent to 1000mb? and remaining 24 is reserved?? confused.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    rahul69
    But here is doubt : According to u, "Your 1 GB = 0.931 GB of Manufacturer" and I calculated for my HDD and it came out that for each 1GB, I was getting 0.956 GB, so how did Manufacturer gave higher than expected??๐Ÿ‘€
    The point here is, its not 1024 MB. I may have did a mistake somewhere. Why so much paranoid about that?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    mreccentric
    So is this the reason why 1gb is equivalent to 1000mb? and remaining 24 is reserved?? confused.
    No, leaving the calculation aside, the OS reserves memory for PCI BUS and other devices in RAM which is not alloted for user operation.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    mreccentric
    The hardware reservation which I talked about is the memory reserved by OS for system tasks eg. working of Device Drivers and BIOS. This is not related to 1GB=1000MB thing.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Guys its nothing to do with system reserved and blah blah...
    Its Decimal and binary system
    here is calculation:
     Decimal    :    Binary
    1 Kilobyte (10^3) =  1024 Bytes (2^10)
    1 Megabyte =  1048576 Bytes (2^20)
    1 Gigabyte =    1073741824 Bytes (2^30)
    It's just confusion of conversion of 10 (decimal) system to binary system.
    That means Kilobyte in decimal : 10^3=1000 is equivalent to binary : 2^10=1000

Companies advertise their product in binary system near to some simplest form like 4GB, 20GB or 500GB.
    A 4GB pendrive actually contains 4101767168 Bytes in binary which decreased to 3.82007GB in decimal.
    That is the reason when you buy 500GB which contains actual close to ~500GB in binary.
    and when you convert to decimal form it will be:

((500(HDD Size)*10^9) / (2^30) ) = 465.661287308 GB in decimal system.

here is the link to convert into Byte to GB

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    it is right that our calculation is in decimal and computer calculate in binary (2^n). but there is also another reason exist when we check the capacity of RAM in system it is less because at same time system is consuming it to run many unseen process to system works. it is my personal point of view #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rikil
    rikil
    In addition to @Scorpion007's view, there is a need of addressing space for file systems on memory. My 16GB pendrive needs 90 MB additionally.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, I want to join B.Tech. (Electronics and Communication Engineering) from SNU and BS (Electrical and Computer Engineering) from CMU. This is a dual degree program offered by shiv...
Can anyone give practical implementation details of PARTOV SIMULATION ENGINE discussed in the IEEE paper titiled "Improving a Computer Networks Course Using the Partov Simulation Engine" by Behnam Momeni and...
can any one tell me the difference between line and phase...
hi.. m mohd bilal sir i want to about some events which are feasible for our technical fest.. if you
i need some events ideas for my tech fest.. can u plz help me out... and also i need some easy project ideas for starting.. if u can help me...