Who is an Engineer? You are if you do order of magnitude calculations

What differentiates an engineer from a scientist? Both study the same principles. Often the same text books.
The former is hands on, off the cuff, quick check kind of person. The latter goes into analytical detailing.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    an engineer is a creator, problem solver and an inventor.

a scientist is a researcher and a discoverer
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    an engineer is a creator, problem solver and an inventor.

a scientist is a researcher and a discoverer
    Of course. However, both are quantitative with the general attitude described in the blog.

I wear both hats. As an engineer I first do a quick and dirty calculation often without any calculating aid. On purely research activities I adopt the other ways. Though I do cheat a bit and do use quick cut and try methods before investing major effort in precise evaluation.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Nice replays above.According to me a scientist is more concerned with discovering new concepts and principles,whereas an engineer finds out quick ways to understand them and apply them to deliver solutions to society.😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Engineers are the implementors of the hard found discoveries of scientist in plain form
  • gowthamanbu
    gowthamanbu
    Scientists Discover while engineer designs it and uses it.. I guess!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys,i am in my 2nd year B.Tech..i would like to know if it is preferable for me to join CAT classes from next year or it would be wise...
GUYS most of you might have heard about this check this out and tell us what is the cause
Google has just announced that they've released the open source version of J2ObjC which is a command line tool to convert Java code into Objective-C for the iOS (iPhone/iPad) platform....
Microsoft has began sending out press invites to celebrate the launch of their upcoming Windows 8 operating system. The event will be held on October 25 at Gotham. Microsoft isn't...
Google's has acquired Nik software the company that made the popular 'snapseed' photo editing application for iOS. Nik software offers a number of tools to the photographers to edit and...