While downloading a torrent file

Hello guys I wan't to ask something related to downloading a torrent from bittorrent...

When we download any file from torrent site with the help of 'bittorrent' then in that there is something called "seeds" and "peers". So, I wan't to know that what is seeds and peers ?

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Seeds which means you upload the portions you've already downloaded to others who also want it.
    While the peers are standing for the number of downloaders.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, if you know how the torrent system works, you would've known who is a seed and who is a peer.

Basically, in torrent, there is no client server relationship. Everyone transfer data between everyone else..

So, if a particular file which you are downloading is already present fully in any system in the network, then that system is a seed.
    If only some portions of the file are present in a system and it is downloading the rest, it's called a peer.
    Of course, that system might have parts which you dont have, so, you can also transfer from peers too.

Just google about how torrent works and you'll get an idea. It's all based on peer-to-peer protocol. 😀
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    @rishi😛eer is another computer on internet that is sharing the files you wish to download.we have to keep in mind that peer does not contain the complete file.it can also be termed as the leeches to differentiate it with that which has just completed its file now and starts working as seed
    whereas seed means suppose you are downloading the files then at the same time you also upload the file whatever you downloaded it .seeder has the complete file
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    #-Link-Snipped-# plssss visit this link for further informations
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    @anand:
    then i wan't to ask that if there is 20 seeds and 10 peers then if it shows that 4 out of 20 seeds connected and 5 out of 10 peers connected .....then what is meant by this ?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    peers and seeds are two terms that comes when you talk about torrents

If you have a complete file that a user wants to download then you will be called as peer

where as if you have only portion of that file (a situation when you are downloading that file) then you will be called seed

There is a central server which keeps tracks of seeds and peers

if there are 5 peers currently available from which you can download file then it will show you 5 out of 10

here rest 5 are then called leech

PS:-correct me if i am wrong
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    @Goyal: you have interchanged seed and peer.

The one who has the complete file is the seed. The one who has only a portion of a file and is downloading, is a peer.

Also, regarding 5 out of 10 seeds, there'll be a server which keeps track of who all has the full file and who all are downloading.
    Suppose there are 10 people who have the full file, but only 5 of them are connected to the network now, then it shows 5 out of 10 seeds.

The rest are not called leechers. Leechers are the same as peers.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks for correcting me
    I was not aware of even abc of this whole torrent concept
    before i read your post.So i read some articles about it on net
    but i am not able to understand how can we create a torrent
    can you explain?
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Well i am getting some very new ideas through you guys.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm getting conflcting advice. My boss tells me that to move up the career ladder in the public sector I need to be a chartered member of a Professional Institution...
Hi Friends, Visit The Constructor for civil engineering contents. This website is fully dedicated for civil engineers. Its has its job board, community with forums, groups, profiles, upload download, albums...
Hi friends!! Is it possible to install a turbo charger in a 2 stroke engine?
Hello friends.. I am final year IT student,i need to submit my project title for final year project. me and our group members decide to do the project in mobile...
Well, i read the post on website to study until PHD level, it require a minimum iq of 125 while i only have 110😔. That mean even hardwork and die...