Which languages to learn for website designing and development?

What are languages should be known for developing website 

Replies

• Rohit Kumar
    Rohit Kumar

If you wish to make a career in web designing, you will need to know the following. 

HTML

HTML is a markup language for every web page on the Internet. If you want to learn web designing, you will have to learn HTML in depth. 

CSS

Cascading Stylesheets allow the web designers to style the HTML components. Let's say you want to highlight a specific text block on your page. You could style it like this

//------------------ 
    TEXT IN RED BACKGROUND
    //------------------ 

In above example, the span element is the HTML element while the 'style' attribute lets you write inline CSS. 

Both CSS and HTML are the basic reuquirements for any web designer. You should learn both HTML5 (latest) and CSS3 (latest) techniques to start your career. 

JavaScript

Creating interactive and beautiful looking pages is a norm these days and that is made possible by Javascript. You should also learn Javascript as it allows adding new functionality to the page and change the HTML's attributes, style properties, classes and IDs on the fly. Javascript is very powerful and it's a must learn language for any web designer.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Good points, #-Link-Snipped-# . Web design and web development are two different aspects. Web design typically deals with the front-end; use facing interfaces while website development also takes into account the 'backend' or 'server-side' of the things. 

Let me add my own bits -

As Rohit said, HTML3, CSS and JS have been the standards for the front-end web development. While both HTML and CSS have evolved a lot in the past 15 years, I think not many people write the pure CSS anymore.

SCSS is a must for every web designer

SCSS isn't a programming language as such; but it lets you write CSS in the form of 'code'. You will write your SCSS and then run it through a CSS preprocessor that will convert your SCSS code into traditional CSS that the modern browsers can understand. 

If anyone wants to make a career in web designing, learning SCSS is an absolute must these days. 

Let's Look at Server-Side Technologies

There's lot to cover here; but we'll only look at the few programming languages that web designers can learn in order to be able to handle the server side of the websites.

1. PHP 

I'll begin with PHP because this server side programming / scripting language covers almost 80% of the Internet these days. Many popular websites like Facebook, Wikipedia and popular CMS WordPress runs on PHP. The language is easy to learn and you can quickly build your own web-based functional app in hours. 

2. JAVA

The language created by James Gosling has been the hot favorite for several years among variety of developers. You can handle your server's back-end logic with it and produce anything from consumer to enterprise web applications with it. 

3. Ruby

Ruby is another hot favorite among many developers. Ruby lets you write highly scalable and robust web applications logic. 

Again, you could make use of several .Net technologies to write your server side application logic. 

I hope this gives you some idea. I'll invite responses from fellow CEans. 

• rahul69
    rahul69

Let me start by saying that I don't design websites, so you can take my advise with grain of salt.

Website designing consists of use of two types of technologies (server side and client side).

For server side part, PHP, ASP.net, JSP are some languages. Different architectures and platforms are used based on what kind of web-servers/databases you are using (eg LAMP/MEAN).

The client side mainly runs HTML, CSS, Javascript. However when you are designing websites you will be using both client and server side technologies without much thought of what is what.

You also need to know data formats (eg. XML/JSON etc.) as well as APIs, and in actual web development you'll be using frameworks (like Drupal,Node.js, Django etc. based on programming language you are using).

So how to start? Well, the easiest way in my opinion is to go through a course. Here is one:

Web Design for Everybody: Basics of Web Development & Coding | Coursera

Now, this course is free to watch (search for audit the course option). To get the basics  straight, you can head to W3Schools Online Web Tutorials .

Good Luck on your journey!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey every one I am Talha , and i'm in finale year i need a help in cloud computing , i want to do finale year project in cloud computing...
I was wondering if we should let go of the homepage we have on CrazyEngineers. Instead, maybe show some latest activity happening on the site so that new users know...
Twitter seems to be experimenting with new design and here's how it looks -What do you think about it? 
Is there any way to get internship in BHEL in Chennai....? Plz give some contacts mam...
for the job i m doing ba  and i want to do the job with tha study also what could i do