Which is the best foreign language to learn for an engineer?

"Which foreign language should I learn from career point of view?"
"Which foreign language has the most scope now-a-days?"
"Which foreign language can give a boost to my career?"
"Which foreign language to learn for best campus placement?"

Weird questions.
But they get asked a lot!

At first, I was surprised to see these kind of questions asked so repeatedly over the years by fellow Indian students. Engineers are at the fore-front of this game (given the number of engineering graduates that this country produces). Every one wants to learn a foreign language that has the most 'scope'.

Now when you say 'scope' - it is an undefined parameter. No one can tell the scope of a particular foreign language because it differs from person to person. For a fresher engineer, the advantages of learning a foreign language will be different. For an experienced professional, there will be different benefits of knowing a foreign language.

It all depends on what career you are in, how frequently you have to deal with foreign clients/customers, what are your project's requirements, do you need to visit a foreign country often?

No one will offer you a job simply because you know a foreign language. You need to have a complete package.

Now I am pretty sure, many of you have heard that it is best for Mechanical Engineers to learn German language (as Germany is one of the biggest automobile hubs of the world) or Japanese language (as Japan boasts of auto-makers in high numbers). I even recently heard a trend where Civil Engineers are learning Arabian language because seemingly there is best scope for civil engineers in UAE.

But does that mean you need to choose those and those languages only? I think not.

To further your career in engineering career, if you intend to work in Korea or China, or be engaged in any form of trade or services in that region of the world, you should definitely learn Korean or Chinese.

I have a lot more to say on the topic.
But first, I invite your opinions.

Replies

• coolkash
    coolkash
    I'm mechanical engg student and If I learn korean language in which sector i would get to work? what if i dnt wanna live for complete years in South korea? wanna live in US but just want the visits like thrice a year?? can you suggest me PG courses or companies that will offer me such job?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any one provide me copy of IRC 15 2011.
Hi, I completed my BE in mechanical field. Presently i have also 6 months experience in design field. Job is of 9 Hours. But as it is a small scale...
Hi people this is A. Udaya Bhaskar Im from Hyderabad. I used to work as Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engg. dept. presently I resigned my job to completely concentrate on...
I'm pursuing B.tech in MECHANICAL engineering currently fourth year, I wish to to get the job in ISRO for that, what should I do. I'm also interested in engine designing....
what is meant by ' this filter F has a short time frequency response '? how does the frequency vary with respect to time for this filter? slowly or quickly