Which is the best distro to learn linux?

I am really very confused which distro shall I use to learn linux please suggest me which will be the best to start.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Anoop Kumar
    Go for ubuntu 13 with 10 Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04
    Thanks
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you want to 'use' Linux based distro then ubuntu is good.
    If you wanna 'Learn' Linux then you'll learn it only when you'll use Gentoo and/or Archlinux.
    For development, IMHO no distributions can come closer to openSUSE & Fedora. (openSUSE for KDE lovers, I am big fan of QT) & Fedora for Gnome lovers. The way openSUSE integrates KDE is unmatchable.

Don't just tie yourself with Ubuntu or it's derivatives like Mint, PearOS (oh! it's discontinued), eOS, (l/x/k)ubuntu.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you want to 'use' Linux based distro then ubuntu is good.
    If you wanna 'Learn' Linux then you'll learn it only when you'll use Gentoo and/or Archlinux.
    For development, IMHO no distributions can come closer to openSUSE & Fedora. (openSUSE for KDE lovers, I am big fan of QT) & Fedora for Gnome lovers. The way openSUSE integrates KDE is unmatchable.

Don't just tie yourself with Ubuntu or it's derivatives like Mint, PearOS (oh! it's discontinued), eOS, (l/x/k)ubuntu.
    Thanks, I was trying to install gentoo but it doesn't have gui install so how to install it without it?Also does it need to instaall it alongside windows 8.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    pradeep.pawar
    Thanks, I was trying to install gentoo but it doesn't have gui install so how to install it without it?
    That's the real fun in Archlinux & Gentoo, No GUI installation ! You have to install DE, drivers,etc. while installation. You'll need internet connection 'ON'. Use wired connection, since the drivers are not installed it won't detect wireless connection
    Read documentation. 😀
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Abhishek Rawal
    That's the real fun in Archlinux & Gentoo, No GUI installation ! You have to install DE, drivers,etc. while installation. You'll need internet connection 'ON'. Use wired connection, since the drivers are not installed it won't detect wireless connection
    Read documentation. 😀
    yes I think it's first step to learn linux thanks
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    For beginners, Ubuntu or Linux Mint is the best.
    If you want a distro aimed at security then try Kali Linux (successor to BackTrack)
    Once you learn enough or want to become an expert on the Linux command line, use Arch Linux.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    If you're afraid of messing with your system install Virtualbox. Keep experimenting with whatever distro you want - go crazy ;-). I do this quite often as it allows me to quickly open up linux if I'm working on windows and need to test something; I dont have to reboot. Any half a decent laptop should be capable of running a virtual machine alongside your main OS.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Private social networking app Path has made its way to Windows Phone 8. The app which is still in beta is free to download from the Windows Phone store. The...
Soon, we will be launching a Tech Startup Interview series right here on CrazyEngineers. We were scratching our heads off trying to figure out the proper name for the series....
With a new smart object recognition algorithm developed by Brigham Young University engineer Dah-Jye Lee, the need of human intervention is waved off. Computer Science engineers all over the world...
The more digitized our lives become, the more important it has become to make sure that the machines don't make mistake in identifying the correct & authentic users. Though textual...
sir, I want to know " how sonic velocity is measured ? " Can you plz send any information regarding to it.