which is better attendance monitoring system??-RFID or Biometric

I want to know which is the better system to mark attendance -RFID or biometric system..both have advantages and disadvantages.but if you consider usage in colleges,which one is good?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    RFID for attendance is quite interesting. In order to pick a better one, you'll have to tell us your criteria. I'm bit excited to know about RFID based attendance system.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    RFID is easier to use and the most used system. It can be implemented by setting an RFID card for each individual. Most of the institutions use this system. Biometrics would require more sophisticated software and programming based on eye or finger print patterns.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I think biometrics is the better option. It may be cost effective overall. In Bangalore some of the high priced apartment blocks have introduced biometrics for lifts that directly open into the apartments.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    This has the best of both:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    anathames
    I want to know which is the better system to mark attendance -RFID or ...?
    Oh! You mean RFID cards.
    I immediately thought you meant Microchip Implant %28Human%29, and I was horrified. ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KenJackson
    Oh! You mean RFID cards.
    I immediately thought you meant Microchip Implant (Human), and I was horrified. ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    Yeah! ๐Ÿ˜€ Exactly! ๐Ÿ˜€ . Any idea which is more cost effective? RFID or Biometric?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    As you said both system have some advantages and disadvantages, RFID (Smart Card) is very sophisticated system but as we are going to use in college there might be chance for Proxy attendance while in case of Biometric this problem is solved.

In my final year i have made a project which used both FingerPrint + Smart Card for Attendance. This is very useful system like if you want to use as a attendance then you have to use both system and if you want to use as Library solution then your Only Smart Card can be used no need to put fingerprint same way if you want to open any door automatically you can use Smart Card Only.

Yeah! ๐Ÿ˜€ Exactly! ๐Ÿ˜€ . Any idea which is more cost effective? RFID or Biometric?
    I think now a days there is no much difference for both. But although RFID solution is little costly as you have to buy TAG for all the Students.

Offttopic:- While if we are using Biometric we can save this cost as we are using their physical characteristics.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    To accurately determine cost you must have a clear objective. So why are we taking attendance in college classes?

In my 5 years in college and then several years of night classes, I can't remember attendance being taken at all after the first day (and that was probably so the professor could connect a face with a name). Do they take attendance these days?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KenJackson
    To accurately determine cost you must have a clear objective. So why are we taking attendance in college classes?

In my 5 years in college and then several years of night classes, I can't remember attendance being taken at all after the first day (and that was probably so the professor could connect a face with a name). Do they take attendance these days?
    I'm not sure why we're talking about using RFID cards for college students; especially for attendance. When I was in college, professors would take attendance by calling our names or roll numbers.

PS: It isn't very reliable method. I seldom attended classes, but had 90% + attendance. Thanks to enthusiastic friends ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    I'm not sure why we're talking about using RFID cards for college students; especially for attendance. When I was in college, professors would take attendance by calling our names or roll numbers.

PS: It isn't very reliable method. I seldom attended classes, but had 90% + attendance. Thanks to enthusiastic friends ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You have a very good group in college. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well if we only discussing for College then you are right that old is gold method is very efficient. ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I Finished my Gate Online application filling & Through payment gateway i pay money also.but now its not at all responding to my userid & password.i tried for 100's of...
Many GATE 2012 applicants are facing problem with online payments and issues related to generation of PDF download link after successful payment. The solution to this, as suggested by IIT...
Adobe Photoshop's next version is likely to feature a new technology that will help you fix your blurred photos. The new technique analyses the motion & path the camera went...
Hi... I am trying to compile a c file using gcc in cygwin shell. But i am getting an error "no input file".. I have checked the path for nearly...
Hi techies , I am new to java and trying to understand arrays but was stuck in concepts , Please any one can explain the following is the code :...