CrazyEngineers
  • ISHAN
    ISHAN

MemberNov 9, 2011

Which Is Best Laptop To Buy?

I have been using a DELL PC for quite sometime now. However I am seeing certain drawbacks. For one thing, I cannot go anywhere taking it.
    So I am thinking to buy a Laptop.
    I don't know very few things about Computer hardware. Sorry for the crude sort of information posted.

My requirements are:
    1. High on graphics so that designs can be easily and comfortably viewed.
    2.High processing speed. This is important requirement as once you install designing software, computer becomes drastically slow.
    3.Should support designing software like ANSYS, CATIA, PRO-E etc. (at least PRO-E.. I am loving it 😀 )
    For this, I guess DELL laptops are best (any other suggestions?)
    4. Good memory may be 500GB..I guess that is possible? 😐.
    5. Cost does not matter (economical if possible).

Remember that I do not want any game specific laptops (the one made especially for playing computer games).

So my question is what to buy? Please post detailed information about the laptops that you are suggesting. 😀
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 9, 2011

Issue
    My requirements are:
    1. High on graphics so that designs can be easily and comfortably viewed.
    2.High processing speed. This is important requirement as once you install designing software, computer becomes drastically slow.
    3.Should support designing software like ANSYS, CATIA, PRO-E etc. (at least PRO-E.. I am loving it 😀 )
    For this, I guess DELL laptops are best (any other suggestions?)
    1. This is tricky and make a huge difference to your budget. If you want a machine for designing stuff and require stuff like advance 3d rendering; computer modeling you might have to go for a laptop with high-end graphics card. But if you're buying a machine only to 'view' and create simple designs; you should do fine with any laptop with a 512 - 1 GB graphics card.

2. Processing power is highly overrated and I don't see any computer using even 50% of the processing power of today's laptops. I asked one of the laptop retailers how'd Intel I3 and I5 make a difference to my computing experience; he said I5 will make it faster. Actually any regular processor is more than enough for your regular computing. The difference is noticeable only when you run computer games on computers that don't have dedicated GPUs. If you're going for a laptop with GPU, I think any laptop will suffice your processing needs.

GPU's are designed to take off load from the CPUs for heavy graphics computing and they work parallel to each other. If you're going for GPU, I'd recommend not stressing too much on higher-end CPU. However, it all depends on your needs as I mentioned in #1 above.

3. You should pay attention to the software/hardware requirements of the software you want to install. You can get this information from official websites of these software. My best guess is you should do fine with: Min 4GB RAM, 512/1GB GPU, 500 GB HDD and any choice of processor that is compatible with the rest of configuration.

I'd recommend buying it from DELL Online because they let you configure your machine. If you're not a Dell Fanatic, go with a readymade configuration from #-Link-Snipped-#. I've always had a good experience of buying from them; except for 2 day delay in delivering a book. Otherwise FlipKart's service is quite good.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Harshad Italiya

MemberNov 9, 2011

I agree with Biggie's Suggestion LAPTOP Model one !! 😉
    One of my friend buy this same model and also 500-800 Rs cheaper then Flipkart cost. You can go with this as he is also using mechanical software as you mentioned.
    Cancel
  • ISHAN TOPRE

MemberNov 9, 2011

Thanks Biggie. I would also ask my friends for which laptop they prefer. I guess Those who are already in a designing company can help me more. As a layman I will go with I5 though but will also check out other possibilities.

Well, I am not a DELL die hard fan. I am of course open to any other laptop. I saw the DELL configurations and I like your suggestion. Let us wait for some other replies 😀

Thank You once again Biggie. 😀
    Cancel
  • Anoop Mathew

MemberNov 10, 2011

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525 for the past 3 years, and it works like a dream. But as of recent buyers of Dell, there are battery issues and other complains, and a few of my friends have suffered. I would prefer if you tried looking at Toshiba. They have good offers too, along with good designed, and well-built laptops. And they should easily fit your price category too. Check the Toshiba L740.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register