Which is a better option for me- software testing vs. networking career

I have completed my b.tech in information technology.
Hate programming, but interested in IT.

Replies

• Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    I guess both. Depends on your interest. Scope is very wide in Networking with lot more demand than Testing.
  • VIPUL THAKUR
    VIPUL THAKUR
    may be networking course have wide scope in future...........
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    none.
    1.you hate programming.
    2. you have no particular passion/interest in networking or in testing
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    You hate programming... Which means you are not interested in complex job profile. So, automation testing and networking are ruled out.
    Better get knowledge on management/functional side and manual testing. Later, look for BA.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ravee vishnoi
    Hate programming, but interested in IT.
    What makes you think you are interested in IT? What is it about IT that attracts you the most?
  • msn7
    msn7
    I am a 2014 btech passed out & I am in a dilemma of what to do nxt...I am not that much on to coding (I dnt hv that much knowledge in programming) so shld I directly try for plcments by just learning some interview questions or shld I learn new technology frm an institute, if so which one is better for me as a fresher .net/testing/sap, in future I want to get into a good management position in a company (i want to get into managmanagement field as early as possible) so then which one wl b d best for me to choose now, will sap be good for a fresher so pls suggest me to get into one..I wl b very thankful if any one helps me on this
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You are from Computer Science background and if you wish to get a job in an IT company - I think you will have to start gaining knowing of computer programming. Otherwise, you should start finding out which of the domain (testing / networking / development / ERP etc.) looks more interesting to you. This can only be done by gathering as much information from the Internet and asking questions to the experts through online forums.

No one here can tell you what's good or bad for you.
  • msn7
    msn7
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You are from Computer Science background and if you wish to get a job in an IT company - I think you will have to start gaining knowing of computer programming. Otherwise, you should start finding out which of the domain (testing / networking / development / ERP etc.) looks more interesting to you. This can only be done by gathering as much information from the Internet and asking questions to the experts through online foruUOTE="Kaustubh Katdare, post: 326320, member: 1"]#-Link-Snipped-# - You are from Computer Science background and if you wish to get a job in an IT company - I think you will have to start gaining knowing of computer programming. Otherwise, you should start finding out which of the domain (testing / networking / development / ERP etc.) looks more interesting to you. This can only be done by gathering as much information from the Internet and asking questions to the experts through online forums.

No one here can tell you what's good or bad for you.
    Sir can I opt for sap (business module) course as a fresher, will I get job easily as I am interested in business or management side,is there any other option for me to get in this field easily, as I want to get into mangmnt position early as possible then taking course on which of this can help me .net or testing or can I go for sap
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - As I said earlier, we can't decide for you. We can't tell you how quickly and easily will you get a job. It all depends on your abilities. SAP is a good career choice, generally speaking.
  • pritambu
    pritambu
    If you hate programming go for networking as in Testing you will get programming.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Anoop Kumar
    You hate programming... Which means you are not interested in complex job profile. So, automation testing and networking are ruled out.
    Better get knowledge on management/functional side and manual testing. Later, look for BA.
    Well, not being fond in programming doesn't necessarily rule out networking. Networking field is quite vast. A general interest in technologies is enough to get you going.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ash
    Well, not being fond in programming doesn't necessarily rule out networking. Networking field is quite vast. A general interest in technologies is enough to get you going.
    Agreed... My indication was general scenario. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    People hate programming because of complexity and mind pressure. Networking also requires that unless you have particular interest in this. Also it's real time debugging.
    In this case, manual testing to BA is better option, as indicated by #-Link-Snipped-# in later post
    msn7
    Sir can I opt for sap (business module) course as a fresher, will I get job easily as I am interested in business or management side
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Anoop Kumar
    Agreed... My indication was general scenario. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    People hate programming because of complexity and mind pressure. Networking also requires that unless you have particular interest in this. Also it's real time debugging.
    In this case, manual testing to BA is better option, as indicated by #-Link-Snipped-# in later post
    I agree, that's one perspective of networking. If you are involved with network configuration of devices that use CLI, you would have to be comfortable with programming and scripting. Troubleshooting of networks can also require running commands or performing packet sniffing and analyze captures.

To a lesser extent, nowadays there are software out there that can help identify issues based on automated output logs. Some devices are also moving towards configuring via GUI rather than CLI (especially firewalls) for practical reasons. So less emphasis on programming here.

The other side of the coin is if you are involved with network design. You'd need to have strong understanding of networking concepts and drawing skills, but you do not necessarily need to know programming or such. You'll need to be able to design and pick the necessary network elements to provide a solution to a client's requirements. The actual implementation of the solution could be left to another team.
  • sodhana
    sodhana
    Mam, I am(2015 B.Tech CSE) pass-out interested in Networking(i can enjoy working hard in designing networks)... already have some knowledge on tools like packet tracer and GNS3. But i am getting fear about scope and demand of network engineers in future(job security). On the other side i have some Basic Knowledge of programming on c,java,python only.I don't know how much minimum knowledge required to get into IT filed and survive (for both networking and software engineer profile).
    what to do Cisco Certification or something else?
    durga
    none.
    1.you hate programming.
    2. you have no particular passion/interest in networking or in testing
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    sodhana
    Mam, I am(2015 B.Tech CSE) pass-out interested in Networking(i can enjoy working hard in designing networks)... already have some knowledge on tools like packet tracer and GNS3. But i am getting fear about scope and demand of network engineers in future(job security). On the other side i have some Basic Knowledge of programming on c,java,python only.I don't know how much minimum knowledge required to get into IT filed and survive (for both networking and software engineer profile).
    Having your base as networking and also some knowledge in programming is your strong point. The networking field is always evolving, and nowadays with the advent of DevOps and Application Performance Management, network engineers do need some fundamentals of how the application that rides on the networks actually work. If you want to implement programming into networks via APIs, then take a look at SDN.

Shouldn't be too worried about job security in networking, just keep an open mind on new things that come out, and learn them.
  • Nithin n
    Nithin n
    I'm pursuing my final yr engg. I'm confused to do networking or testing course, I'm not good in coding.
    Testing course requires to have knowledge abt coding????
    Plz anyone help me..
  • VelShakthi
    VelShakthi
    With no doubt. Testing needs basic knowledge about coding. Because the tester is the only responsible person to identify the defects in particular product.
  • VelShakthi
    VelShakthi
    sodhana
    Once u came out of ur college then u have gather knowledge on a particular domain in which u have interested. Then i advice u to do some certification on that domain .every recruiter expect the certification from u. Because now a days there are n number of fresher in IT world. U may have interest in networks or in programming, just finish a certification to show of ur skill to the recruiter.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys, I am really in a dilemma to what is a multi air engine. Searched on the internet but couldn't get a clear idea of what it is. Please tell...
1 11 121 1331 14641 can anyone tell the code of this pattern.??
I always had a query. I have really good software development background (although I am a Mechanical Engineer by education & profession). How do random number generators work? A thought...
what is the reason for the input impedence in the open circuit transmission line to behave inductive or capacitive...?i came to know that depending upon value(+ve or -ve) of (Bl)...
While Apple had everybody’s attention during its iPhone 6 and Apple Watch launch event, Qualcomm Technologies announced a slew of new processors that will bring 4G LTE connectivity equipped smartphones...