Which IDE Do You Use?

This thread intends to find out which Integrated Development Environment do CEans use. Of course your choice would vary depending upon the programming language & framework; so you can share your experiences with programming languages and corresponding IDEs you've used.

I'm experimenting with Eclipse PDT these days. NetBeans looks like a good choice too; but I'm not really experienced in using IDEs; so can't say much.

Looking forward to your responses.

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    My top preference is emacs and the command-line!

I've experimented with Eclipse and I keep thinking I'll learn it, but haven't.

Though the one I actually use a fair amount is Analog Devices' VisualDSP++. I think it's awful, but if you're working with the Blackfin processor, there's little choice.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I have used Eclipse 3*-, Netbeans, JDevelopers 10 and currently using Intellij Idea 12.
    Both Netbeans, JDevelopers sucks.
    Eclipse is best free and Open source IDE without doubt.
    IntelliJ IDEA – the Leading Java and Kotlin IDEis also free but not the Ultimate edition. Got to say, intellij idea is big brother of all IDE. great integration and require minimal typing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - What are the immediate advantages of Intellij Idea IDE? I've read the comparisons online and a lot of people seem to prefer Eclipse. Eclipse might be popular because it's free.
  • avii
    avii
    It depends. For me its always Xcode, Sublime Text or PyCharm
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we must associate languages and corresponding IDEs.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - What are the immediate advantages of Intellij Idea IDE? I've read the comparisons online and a lot of people seem to prefer Eclipse. Eclipse might be popular because it's free.
    There is no doubt with Eclipse, total flexibility. but for complex project and writing heavy code it requires that IDE should know what you want.
    A simple example is , with Intellij when you want to create an object of class. you need to write ClassName className = new ClassName(parameters);
    with intellij, the moment you start typing class name it will give you suggestion from all accessible classes which one you want and the above whole line could be written in 4-5 keystrokes.
    With Eclipse its not possible yet.
    Second, Eclipse doesn't facilitate navigation to java classes from xml file. Ctrl+click.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    ianoop
    There is no doubt with Eclipse, total flexibility. but for complex project and writing heavy code it requires that IDE should know what you want.
    A simple example is , with Intellij when you want to create an object of class. you need to write ClassName className = new ClassName(parameters);
    with intellij, the moment you start typing class name it will give you suggestion from all accessible classes which one you want and the above whole line could be written in 4-5 keystrokes.
    With Eclipse its not possible yet.
    Second, Eclipse doesn't facilitate navigation to java classes from xml file. Ctrl+click.
    With eclipse, one can use ctrl+space for auto-completion. eg. one can write CN + ctrl + space and it will generate ClassName.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Anand Tamariya
    With eclipse, one can use ctrl+space for auto-completion. eg. one can write CN + ctrl + space and it will generate ClassName.
    Yes, its there but with Intellij writing code is just like butter. you just need to concentrate on your logic.
    One think in intellij hat can't open more than one project.
    I use both of them and like for their features. 😀
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    ianoop
    Yes, its there but with Intellij writing code is just like butter. you just need to concentrate on your logic.
    I totally agree, the speed which you can gain using Intellij idea is unmatchable, it will however takes some time to get used to all the shortcuts it provide.
    Anand Tamariya
    With Intellij simply write sout and press tab and u get whole line of :
    System.out.println(); I am not aware if Eclipse has this kind of code completion features😒
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    rahul69
    With Intellij simply write sout and press tab and u get whole line of :
    System.out.println(); I am not aware if Eclipse has this kind of code completion features😒
    Eclipse: syso ctrl+Space. 😀

Here is some good guys made the multi resolution wallpaper of Intellij Idea and Eclipse shortcut.
    #-Link-Snipped-# / #-Link-Snipped-#
    Following is windows/linux wallpaper for 1920x1200 resolution.
    IntellijIdea1920x1200EclipseCanoo1920x1080
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    ianoop
    Since you use both (on a regular basis?), you are in a better position to highlight the differences. Writing code in Eclipse never felt any hassle to me. What exactly are some of the things that make you more productive using IntelliJ? That would be more objective and useful discussion.
  • siraj.mussafirr
    siraj.mussafirr
    Sublime Text.. Its really awesome.. Best interface.. obstruction free design .. and cool interface desing and highlighting.. Really in Love with it
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    For C I use "C-Free 4.0" and for Java I use "Eclipse" IDE.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Scientists at Princeton University have successfully utilized printing tools to create a superhuman ear. While the artificial ear looks pretty much like a biological ear, it attributes its superhuman strength...
Can anyone help with this???????. IF i have a ssn like 123459636 and i want to insert dashes into it how would i do that in SQL; i have tried...
Hi all, I want to write a script in perl which will execute under gdb (is it possible in perl? or i will have to use python) to automate the...
how should we find projects at the end of first year and also on which topic we should start learning to get a good project(computer science based)??
The next generation XBOX might get a new official name - XBOX Infinity with a tag-line 'Infinite Entertainment. Infinite Possibilities.'. A leaked image on Reddit shows a new logo &...