Which DNS Do You Use & Why?

I've been hearing a lot about Google DNS server being faster in operation than the Open DNS. I'm wondering which DNS server all our expert CEans use - and any special reason for using it.

I've been using my ISP's DNS server and never cared about opting for any special DNS provider (viz. OpenDNS).

I also wish to know whether there were any noticeable changes you've experienced after changing the DNS settings on your comptuer?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I am little confused here. Its my ISP who decides what DNS i need to be using right?
    Frankly, I wasnot aware of OPEN DNS :lame:, may be it needs a try .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    I am little confused here. Its my ISP who decides what DNS i need to be using right?
    Frankly, I wasnot aware of OPEN DNS :lame:, may be it needs a try .
    That's correct. However, you may also let Open DNS do the job for you.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I use Google's DNS - 8.8.8.8

Have registered for OpenDNS, but Google's beats the hell out of OpenDNS in response times. And its much safer.

As a fall back I use a public DNS - 4.2.2.2
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I also use Google's 8.8.8.8. OpenDNS was a mixed affair, sometimes being faster than my ISP DNS, sometimes slower ๐Ÿ˜›
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    I used OpenDNS sometime, but it didn't make much of a difference regarding speed. So I reverted back to the defaults of my ISP
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just wondering whether it's got any effect on the download speeds.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    It will, at the start. But later on it won't. Net net there will be delta difference. However if you are using the crappy DNS servers that most of our service providers offer, then things are completely different. They are not updated regularly, they might contain wrong entries and are a sure shot way of exposing yourself.
  • jintujacob
    jintujacob
    Hope you will read #-Link-Snipped-#. Its all about a comparison of the free dns servers available and the way to select the best one ...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jintujacob
    Hope you will read #-Link-Snipped-#. Its all about a comparison of the free dns servers available and the way to select the best one ...
    I looked at the site. Do you have any experience/experiment to share that shows the download speeds are affected by use of any particular DNS? Google's DNS are very fast however there are few people who've mentioned that they'll usually reduce the download speeds. I also want to know whether there's a large difference in browsing speeds and download speeds experienced using various DNS.
  • jintujacob
    jintujacob
    The_Big_K
    I looked at the site. Do you have any experience/experiment to share that shows the download speeds are affected by use of any particular DNS? Google's DNS are very fast however there are few people who've mentioned that they'll usually reduce the download speeds. I also want to know whether there's a large difference in browsing speeds and download speeds experienced using various DNS.
    Dear Friend,

The dns address doesn't be the right option for increasing the network performance to a great extend.. Better the dns address faster you resolve your ip. Also the dns server plays only in the beginning part of the connection only, as it converts some ''WWW.somesite.com'' into some ''100.100.200.50''. When the system gets the corresponding ip of the url, the dns server's role ends... I don't think that it have any impact on the downloading speed though you may feel the rate diffrence during the browsing..

ping all the dns servers and select the one showing minimum average RTT. ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I am using Google DNS... ๐Ÿ˜€ Its way too awesome and faster... ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I recently wrote an article regarding Nuclear power plant at Jaitapur. Nuclear Energy, The Tug Of War And Jaitapur - CrazyEngineers In that I came across various types of...
What is meant by supercharger & turbo charger? Actually, I want to know the difference between turbocharger and a supercharger on a cars engine? Can someone please explain?
HCL AM7-A1 is android 2.2 based tablet recently released by HCL in India for a price of Rs. 22990. The tablet features - high speed cpu,enhanced web experience, GPS,Voice Calling,...
What could be the main reason behind fall in price of laptop? Wondering whether the trend in price fall will continue.
We now have an official CrazyEngineers Group on LinkedIn. Check it out - CrazyEngineers | LinkedIn Join in ๐Ÿ˜€