Which D.C. motor should be used in robo war?

hello engineers......
i m making a robot for the robowars competitions
and i need your help for selecting motors for motion and weapon.

weight of the robot will be around of 25-30 Kg. and
which motor is perfect for weapons ? [At least 2 weapons one disk ( as used cutter ) and other a hammer or flipper (or both).]
weight of disk will be around 8 Kg.
the power will be given to 4 wheels.
pls suggest some motor specifications along with cost and the market for it.
other modifications are also welcomed....

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Unless you have uber mechanical manufacturing skills, buy one motor for each of your wheels, to make motion control easy. These are going to be very heavy components, so make sure you take their weight into account.

A somewhat lighter motor will do to rotate your 'cutter', just make sure it has plenty of torque and low speed, so it does not jam. You'll need a heavy duty servo for your 'hammer'.

Now let's get to the reason why you posted here. Motor specifications? They don't mean squat in India (assuming you live in India) where we have no standardized hobbyist component stores like RadioShack. I could go on suggesting that you buy this-and-that, but in the end you'll have to hunt down electronics and electrical hardware/repair shops/workshops and see what you can get. I suggest you do that first, before making any long term plans about the evolution of your robot.

You may have to get your motors custom made. How much that costs you depends on your networking skills and what city you live in.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Motor specifications? They don't mean squat in India (assuming you live in India) where we have no standardized hobbyist component stores like RadioShack.
    I agree with this. Component sourcing is a major impediment in developing electronics stuff in India. Though it's improving with certain sites like embeddedmarkets.com, we still have a long way to go.
  • riteshbstkr
    riteshbstkr
    pmmc
    permenant dc motor
  • riteshbstkr
    riteshbstkr
    High torque permenant geared dc motor
    specification 12v <50rpm
  • Amith Jose
    Amith Jose
    use wiper motors for the wheels, u can get it at used car junkyards
  • maitreya1997
    maitreya1997
    hello everyone
    i want to know the motors used in robo wars
    any one knows
    please reply soon
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    maitreya1997
    hello everyone
    any one knows
    please reply soon
    I've moved your post to the relevant discussion. Please read all the posts above and see they answer your questions.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    maitreya1997
    hello everyone
    any one knows
    please reply soon
    For agility, you can use #-Link-Snipped-#. It'll be little bit costlier than normal dc motors. Your selection of gear ratio will also play major role in speed of your bot. Remember, more the agility, quicker the brushes will wear out. Overpowering can even burn 'em.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Posting on behalf of #-Link-Snipped-# -

i am a fresher i want to build a 15 kgs robo for robowar . can any please guide me like what kind of motors i should use for wheels and weapons , and which material i have to use for body and weapon .

• Lyra Lestrange
    Lyra Lestrange

There are more criteria than one for a battlebot to compete efficiently. Some suitable motors are:

1. DC series motor (for high starting torque)

2. Stepper motor(for a certain amount of angle rotation),

3. BLDC motor(high speed)

4. Switched reluctance motor

• Utkarsh Pal
    Utkarsh Pal

Hi,

I am just beginner to robotics and I am building a robot for robowars whose weight is around 30kg pls suggest me some motor for moving.

• Adarsh Sahu
    Adarsh Sahu

I had built a 8 kg war bot using bldc motors for wheels but it failed working.. With  wheels upright and slight contact the wheels showed Movement..can't figure out the problem... Anyone who can help 

• Krishna Kumar
    Krishna Kumar

wheels geared Motors of 6, 12 and 24 volts are available from 35 RPM to 1000 RPM which can be used to drive the wheels. Select the one with which you get optimum speed with the balance of your robot so that it doesnt topple at full speed. There is no direct relation with whatever voltage you use. May be 36 or 6. It all depend on what motors you use with the said voltage. For weapons you may use servo motors which have precise rotation with speed and torque.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do you like the idea of playing Guitar to compose and send that important email to your boss? What do you think about adding music to the boring business...
The London Array has finally reached is full capacity as the engineers commissioned the 175th (final) turbine. Dong Energy reported that with all the turbines now connected with the national...
When we say the Universe, we are really referring to the observable universe. What is beyond is a lot of conjecture. The Planck Cosmology Probe took a picture of an...
i'M TRYING TO RECOVER THE MY HP LAPTOP, WHEN I TRY TO CREATE RECOVERY MEDIA DISC THEN THE SYSTEM SHOW THE ERROR "" Visual C++ Library- Run Time Error,------R6002-Floating point...
Name: Suyash Deshmukh Engineering Trade: Computer Science Location: Pune Occupation: Final Year Student. Hobbies & Interests: Reading , Adventure Sports and programming .. 😛 Aim in life: Wanna make the...