Where & why 31 and 32 subnet mask are used?

Hi, recently I brought IDEA NETSEETER for accessing Internet. When I check details of it I saw that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 or /32. I search on net and found that /31 and /32 are allowed to use for some special cases. But did not get a clear picture.

In normal condition we can not use /31 and /32 subnet mask. So my question are:

1) In what condition /31 and /32 are use?
2) And what are network and broadcast address in these case.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    one example I can think of currently
    ISP <-->R1 --(your network)
    as per addressing rules, the segment between ISP and R1 need to be in the SAME network. Many times this will be a serial link and due to which you need only 2 addresses for each side. which will be a /30 network address. (2^2 -2 =2 usable addresses)
    but again there are few theories/RFCs. For point to point ( manily used in frame relay or Ppp) we 'dont' really end up broadcasting. 😀 as we have only 2 endpoints, hence it doesnot make a point to have a reserved 'broadcast' address. think of it like a water pipe moving water from tap to a drum. you wont see water spilling everywhere, it only flows in a gien channel. same is the case with point to point. You dont need a broadcast address. hence /31 address can also be used giving scope to 2 host address ,(2^1) - ie. host bit '0' represents one host and '1' represents another.
    /32 is used to represent a host as it is.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Thanks Durga for your reply.

Still I have one question , in case of 3g modems( in all dial up) /32 is used, then how it communicate to server?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I an not too familiar with dailup configuration, but have another example for you for /32 addresses
    you must have heard of classical loopback interfaces . right? Those can be treated as single /32 address.
    Loopback interfaces generally are used to test the tcp stack within a given host , like - 127.0.0.1/32

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung is set to announce the LTE version of the popular Samsung Galaxy SII and Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 at IFA 2011 in Berlin. The LET version of these popular...
What is MATLAB engine?? how it works?? what exactly it means by 'calling Matlab engine in c++'?
Hi, Members Myself Gulshan Kumar Mehta, mechanical engineer ( HVAC ) live in delhi and working with Pepsico India. Regards, Mehtag
Well I am a returning Engineer... I took a 5/5 year hiatus from the field to "find myself" and ended up getting more lost than I began with. I am...
TCS is recruiting in campuses and I've overheard a group of candidates discussing that the TCS campus recruiters actually asked few of the candidates to 'dance' in the interview room...