Where are the innovative ideas & engineering problems?

CEans,

I've wanted to share the thought running in my mind since last couple of days.

CrazyEngineers' aims to bring engineers together so that we all can solve complext problems and share innovative ideas with each other and collaborate to bring them to reality.

However, I see that the trends are changing. Most of the queries, discussions are merely basic queries or troubleshooting requests. That's not what CE wants to do!

How do you suggest we improve the quality of discussions? Bring innovative ideas on forums and make our engineers 'think'?

Replies

• Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    Making people 'think' on the internet is hard, but not impossible. Most of the other Science and Engineer sites out there are just Q & A sites filled wit students that ask Questions and leave.

One major thing we could do would be to separate the technical discussions into two different Sub forums, one for general Q & A and a different one for sharing ideas. That way, people could still ask questions, but we could also then keep them separate from the more theoretical discussions.

Other than that, maybe we could somehow hook up with more professional organizations like ASME so we can spread the word better. Also, I would really recommend that we become a bit more strict with grammar and internet speak. No, I don't want perfect spelling and grammar all the time, and I'm okay with a bit of internet speak, but I've noticed that a lot of people just seem to log in, post one or two mangled posts, only to vaporize into thin air.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lock Os, thanks for your response.

We had a separate 'ideas' section but it remained stagnant for a long time and then we had to merge the threads with other sections. It was sad, but we couldn't afford a section with no new posts for a long time.

I like the suggestion of joining hands with ASME. I believe if some of us come forward to start interesting discussions & share innovative ideas, we can do a much better job!

Regarding the spelling and grammar [usage of SMS text] we are strict. A majority of our user base is from India where SMS language is almost a norm now. Its difficult to handle that, but again, not impossible. I'm working on some of the suggested solutions. Expect them to be live on CE post 26[sup]th[/sup] November.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi,
    How do you suggest we improve the quality of discussions?
    I feel CE Ambassadors Team Idea by you is going to help if members of the team will work well.

Bring innovative ideas on forums and make our engineers 'think'?
    I think you can make a team for this comprising of members from each engineering tade.CEans can post their ideas to this team and then this team can check the feasibilty of the idea.I mean upto what extent it can be possible(anyways IMPOSSIBLE=I+M+POSSIBLE for CEans).If it is approved by them,CEans interested in it can start working out.

Problems what you can face in this are:
    1.Most of us are not having time to regularly work on CE.This may cause delays.So there should not be any time limit.
    2.If CEans will find it very tough to overcome the difficulties that will be faced while making the idea real.You and other CEans are always there to help us.

One more thing can be done:a kind of starring(*) can be given for those who will work like real CEans. This will motivate those who do not give much to CE.

Good/Bad Reviews most welcome !! 😀
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well i think,CE is place for everybody,there are dedicated forum who disscuss particular problems but we can definately solve some real basic mind twisters
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    I can understand the merging and all, stagnant sections are not very good for a forum. But it kinda is hard to tell questions from ideas. We could maybe set something up in the CE Labs for ideas? If not, I'm fine with that, we could forgo that for now at least.

I also kinda would like to form more of a network of our own, not like a social network per say, but more of a 'guild' system of sorts were we can maybe get together and write up articles sharing knowledge and archiving it. Like for example, a mechanical engineer could write a semi-formal article based on his experience about the pros and cons between gear and belt power transmission. Or maybe an electrical engineer could post up basic circuits to teach others some basic electronics.

One other thing we could try is to get together and create something as a group, present it at a trade show or something, and get some more attention that way. If anything, that seems to be the way to go right now.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very well said! CEan MayurPathak [Editorn in chief] and I discussed a product idea and if everything goes right, we'll soon start working on it. It would be bit too early to talk about it 😉 . I'll announce important developments in due course of time.

Regarding articles : Yep! Very soon, the editorial will be collecting articles from our own CEans. We may announce competitions and prizes for the best articles. I'm in talks with few corporations to sponsor the prizes. Let's see how it all goes. Let's see what our editorial has to say about it.

Creation of groups - yes. We are focusing on CE City Meets. So far we've had them in Pune (India) and Mumbai (India). We should spread our wings pan world. Representing CE at trade show is super idea, let's keep an eye on it.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Biggie Infocomm 2008 is a great opening door for us...to put the first step towards...our media openings
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    just2rock
    Biggie Infocomm 2008 is a great opening door for us...to put the first step towards...our media openings
    Infocomm 2008 is over. Looking for 2009. [​IMG]
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Can we organize our own technical event consisting of various programing competitions and other things?
    Atleast we can start from small national level event.
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    I have a query regarding the posting of innovative ideas.
    Where and how to post a new innovative idea?😕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    frodo.rok
    I have a query regarding the posting of innovative ideas.
    Where and how to post a new innovative idea?😕
    In appropriate section.
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    but which one will be appropriate? CE Lab?
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    actualy previously there was a thread named Ideas/Knowledge Sharing Articles or something like that.But now as I cant find that i am a bit confused.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, you'll have to decide which section can get your idea. For example, if you have an idea that is related to creation of lossless transmission line, it should go into Electrical/Electronics engineering section.

If not, why not write a short article describing your idea and post it in our Announcements/Articles discussion section? 😀

You made me think. We need to define the scope and limitation of our CE Labs section. Thanks.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Okay i have not posted anything for a long time. i have been very busy. Anyway i think the problem is not that we cant think it is that we have not been challenged to. My idea is that we start a crazy project one for each trade, something previously thought impossible or very problematic then, start contributing towards it and have people in CE monitoring its progress and implementing its practical aspects. Then they can provide us with updates on the project kind of like a huge research team communicating via the internet. the benefits from finished projects could then be used to develop and popularize CE. CE also might give out certificates to all members that contributed to a successful project.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well tats already in process but the problem is we are not getting enough feedbacks,members here are showing laid-back attitude they have to encourage in someway!!!! any ideas
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe we've tried that. CE Bot project is challenging enough, but there's no remarkable progress on that. Only Ash, xheavenlyx, docel and few others have been contributing.

We'll definitely give out certificate of appreciation for the innovative contributors. Its difficult to have members contribute from start to the end of the project though.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    We just need some push to get the ball rolling, again!
  • hinduja.prasad
    hinduja.prasad
    CE can also give regular updates regarding any upcoming technical events on it's blog. this can be really usefull for people checking out for such competions
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We have announcements section which has all the latest important announcements. Did you check that?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i want to develop a circuit that gives output in form of dancing leds.the input to circuit is from magnetic pick up. for eg:if rpm is from 2000-3000 then...
Hi,I am a great music lover even my son 6 years old is also the great fan of piano.We a have old piano at home now my son is asking...
can any1 plz tell me from where i can download "ansi c++ compiler".... rply soon
im working on an autonomous robot with four wheels and eight possible directions (forward, right forward, right,...). and i need to sense the motion of the robot to provide a...
Hello there My name is Garrett Carr and I am writing an adventure novel for teenage readers. It will be called ‘Lost Dogs’ and, if everything works out, will be...