Where are music, video & document files actually stored in computer?

i hav a doubt from long ago that what is the exact memory location of the music ,video and document files that we have stored in our computer ? is it on local disk or D disk or
RAM memory. but if it is a RAM memory then as it is a volatile memory the files must be unsaved
after the device is turn off. sorry, for the silly question but plz reply...

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's not a silly question and I believe every IT/CS engineer should understand the basics of how computer systems work. It could get embarrassing when engineers in their final year of CS/IT studies can't answer the very basic questions. A lot of self study, and reading is required by students these days.

Getting back to the question - your files are 'stored' in the HDD. But HDDs are already old and we've a new class of storage called 'SSD' aka Solid State Drives. Basically, these are your permanent storages which means they can retain data even when electricity is not applied. The read/write speed of SSD and HDDs is slower as compared to what the RAM can do.

Now, I want you to search the Internet and share your findings about RAM aka Random Access Memory. Share all the information you find online and try to figure out the exact purpose of RAM in a computer. Share your findings so that you can learn.
  • rina j. kadam
    rina j. kadam
    thank you for the reply,sir. i agree that all the files are stored on hard disk only.
    that when our computer's hard disk get damaged then all the content of computer is any how get affected including backup files. but as you say SSDs are
    i think very rarely used as it is new and few costly. yes solid state disks are
    more reliable and faster than hard disk . and i will search and share more about RAM definitely.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The time has changed and the work that used to take lots of time for their completion is now executed in a fraction of seconds. It has become possible because...
I want to execute my undergraduate final year project in Transportation Engineering.Can you please suggest me some emerging topics which demands high degree of research and on which comparatively less...
Enter Free. Crazier the better. https://contest.techbriefs.com/index.php
it might sound to be a very basic question but i still keep confusing with this as far as i know the output of the ce amplifier when given with...
.For leading power factor circuits, which of the following can be used? A.Shunt Capacitors only B.Shunt Reactors only C.Either Shunt Capacitors or Shunt Reactors D.Neither Shunt Capacitors Nor Shunt Reactors