Where are all the good engineers?

Just read a report that Twitter is paying about $10 million to an engineer in the silicon valley to make him(or her) stay with the company. The paycheck he's being offered is more than the top executives of the company. Twitter says that it's become a very difficult challenge to find good engineers in the silicon valley.

Now that's a shocker; because many believed that world's super engineering talent in the computer domain is in the valley! If Silicon Valley is struggling for engineering talent, I want to know where are all the good engineers in the world?

Is the evolution of technology faster than the engineers' ability to cope up with it? How can this problem be solved?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    We had discussed a lot on the similar topics on the ability or engineers quality.

yes we had lot of engineers who weren't able to cope up with the technological advancement.The selection process is on of the main problem which act as a barrier to find quality engineers because of the lack of communication and interpretation of data by ENgineers.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I want to know where are all the good engineers in the world?
    Is the evolution of technology faster than the engineers' ability to cope up with it? How can this problem be solved?
    Maybe they are all at sea (read CE).
    Seriously, the end question above is almost a perfect oxymoron.
    Who is doing the fast evolution of technology if not engineers?
    The problem may not be shortage of engineers in general. There are plenty of factory turned out clones from thousands of colleges. Good for routine work. Blue collar stuff, interchangeable plugins.

What is in short supply is the creators. Original thinkers. That seems to happen by accident since the present education system appears incapable of producing such.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Expect rise in the cyber security jobs in India in coming days. Big IT companies in India - viz. TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant and others may soon begin looking for...
LG G2 has a guest mode - which when enabled lets you define what apps and sections of the phone will be accessible to the user. I think this is...
There is an English saying:'I would give my eyeteeth...' This seems to be becoming literally true with a tooth based implant that restores sight. https://www.qmed.com/news/blind-regain-sight-tooth-based-eye-implant?cid=nl.qmed01
Apple's expected to launch a cheaper iMac next year. Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities has revealed Apple's 2014 product roadmap. Kuo has been very accurate about announcing Apple's product launches...
Lava is on fire this year. The company is on a spree for its product launches. This time it's a tablet called LAVA E-Tab Ivory. Priced at Rs. 10,199, the...