When transmitter & receiver move in same direction with same velocity

we know 4 cases in doppler effect...
1.transmitter and receiver stationary-no frequency change
2.transmitter moving (away or towards the receiver) & receiver stationary
3.receiver moving (away or towards the transmitter) & transmiter stationary
4.both are moving away or towards each other
what happens if both the transmitter and receiver are moving in the same direction and with same velocity???will there be any change in frequency???

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting question. I think the motions of the transmitter and receiver are relative to each other. When both transmitter and receiver are moving in the same direction with same velocity, they are stationary relative to each other and I *think* the frequency shouldn't change.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# , for confirmation. 😒
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Interesting question. I think the motions of the transmitter and receiver are relative to each other. When both transmitter and receiver are moving in the same direction with same velocity, they are stationary relative to each other and I *think* the frequency shouldn't change.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# , for confirmation. 😒
    Right you are. The two are stationary as far as they are concerned.
    The usual high to low transition of a train's whistle as it passes us that we are all familiar with is the higher pitch of the whistle as the train is coming towards us and the sharp drop as it speeds away from us is because of the change in velocity between the transmitter and the receiver.
    The 'Red Shift' that we observe of astronomical objects from which the expansion of the universe is studied is a fixed variation in frequency as the transmitter is moving away at a constant velocity (for the moment anyway).
    Quote:
    The Doppler Redshift results from the relative motion of the light emitting object and the observer. If the source of light is moving away from you then the wavelength of the light is stretched out, i.e., the light is shifted towards the red. These effects, individually called the blueshift, and the redshift are together known as doppler shifts. The shift in the wavelength is given by a simple formula
    (Observed wavelength - Rest wavelength)/(Rest wavelength) = (v/c)
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    endquote
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    When the magnitude and direction are the same then the resultant velocity difference cancels each other and so there is Actually no change in the distance between both the listener and the source.

Doppler effect uses this distance shift to a great extent Since the distance is always constant the changes are not seen.

PS: Provided environmental effects are negligible
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    sir,can you explain me what is meant by rest wavelength??
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    from the above answers it is clear that since the relative velocity is zero there is no change in frequency..actually the bodies are stationary to each other but they do have certain velocity isn't it?then wont this velocity (though constant) have any effect on frequency?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah you almost got it You need a relative variation in velocity to alter the frequency. When this relative variation is 0 we have nearly constant frequency in the reception side
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    (Observed wavelength - Rest wavelength)/(Rest wavelength) = (v/c)
    In the above equation if v=0 (No relative motion) (v/c)=0/c=0, which means that there is no change in frequency. The value of v could be nearly = c. Even then there in no effect on the frequency with respect to the two bodies between themselves.However, a stationary (relative to these two) object will see a change in frequency for the same signal.
    gwendollen
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    sir,can you explain me what is meant by rest wavelength??
    Rest wave length is the wavelength that is measured between receiver and transmitter on the same body.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What happen if we rotate the conductor anticlockwise instead of clockwise for starting the generators?
hi, 😭 is there any method to convert pressure generated from human walking into electricity using piezoelectric transducers?for my project kindly guide me how it is possible and what components...
I want to make a website using PHP , dreamviewer and xampp . I m new to all these things and i need to give this website in a month...please...
Hello everyone, I am interested in making a career in VLSI domain. So, kindly guide me on the way I should take to achieve this.
did anyone encountered problem paying the CDAC Fee ONLINE??? 10k got deducted from my account and its not showing in Paid???