When solar energy is abundant, why are people after non-conventional energy?

hello friends,
iam new to this forum n also a fresher(civil). my doubt is why is every company running for non renewable energy when we have abundant solar energy? am i wrong? what would b the cost for the installation of a solar power system at a house. am expecting all your comments and suggestions. thank you.

Replies

• Ashwin Thomas
    Ashwin Thomas
    is the construction of an eco friendly house very high when compared to its long run?
  • Ibe
    Ibe
    The main problem is the solar panels to be used were expensive. here in the Philippines, a solar panel that can generate 120 Watts of power cost 8,000 Pesos or about 200 USD. The average power consumption for every household here ranges from 200-400 Watts that's why the installation for every household is too pricy.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've moved the discussion to Debate section.
  • Ashwin Thomas
    Ashwin Thomas
    200 USD sounds really economic, i was expecting it to be around 25,000 USD. if it is 200 USD then what is your normal electricity bill per month?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    In India we receive stipends from government for setting up solar panels But the only problem is squeezing in place for solar panels in the rugged flat apartment system in major cities

But still the efficiency of the solar panels need greater improvement to become more prevalent and replace the conventional power stations
  • Ashwin Thomas
    Ashwin Thomas
    does any1 knw how much it could cost?
  • babumoshaaye
    babumoshaaye
    Converting and using all the renewable sources of energy is pretty expensive. That is the only big setback around the world.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    babumoshaaye
    Converting and using all the renewable sources of energy is pretty expensive. That is the only big setback around the world.
    It is better said these methods are under research so cost is a little high
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I work in a building in which there is an internal Air Conditioning plant at the basement. There are rows of solar panels on the terrace, and 70% of the building's electrical needs are met through solar energy.

The effect: A few years ago, someone thought It'd be a great idea to install solar panels. Even today, they still stand as they are well maintained.

The Benefit: The Air Conditioning system runs entirely on solar! The electrical lines are used for other electrical purposes.
  • Ibe
    Ibe
    Ashwin Thomas
    200 USD sounds really economic, i was expecting it to be around 25,000 USD. if it is 200 USD then what is your normal electricity bill per month?
    basically, the 200 USD is for solar panel only, installation and other expenses are not yet included.
  • superfan
    superfan
    Solar power is not as economical as that which comes from the more traditional sources yet.

If your power requirement is say 1kWh/day, the rough calculation which would give you the cost involved is:

Wattage of the PV panels = 1000/5.5 ~ 182 W

Cost per watt = $1 ~ Rs.55

Cost of the panels = Rs.55 *182 ~ Rs. 10000

Cost of battery and installation ~ Cost of panels

Total cost = Rs.20000

We get power at ~ Rs.6/kWh from the electric utilities. If we use 1 kWh per day, Rs.20000 is close to prepaying electricity for 9.1 years. That is why, solar is not very popular yet.
  • fra9ranc3
    fra9ranc3
    Though being abundant solar energy consummption is much less.... Its cuz one cant get enough power through it to run devices demanding greater power as in cars, mobiles, AC's, etc..... To run these things you need large solar panels to generate enough current buh it turns out to be so costly.....
    Besides this other factors affecting the use of solar energy is time, mobility of panels etc....
  • Riley BerthasHusband
    Riley BerthasHusband

A typical central inverter for a PV installation will last between 10 and 15 years and thus will need to be replaced at some point during the lifetime of your solar panels. Lifespan of a Solar Panel? Photovoltaic(PV) modules typically come with 20 year warranties that guarantee that the panels will produce at least 80% of the rated power after 20 years of use. The general rule of thumb is that panels will degrade by about 1% each year. 

Then there are the batteries

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

wts EOF AND IS SCANF returen values?
The Indian Institutions of Engineers,SOUTH EX was established in the year 2010.the Indian institutions of engineers is a premier technical education and training institute in the SOUTH EX. This institute...
hi friends, i am trying hard to connect arduino mega adk with my android app through php server located on a web hosting site. the problem is, i want to...
How To connect the Microcontroller with our computers?? My problem is that.. "I have created One Device using micro controller which reads the Temprature.Hence i want to send that reading...
I search information about design the software and the hardware of controllers especially servo controllers.​I have several questions about this subject and I will glad if you can write your...