What's Your Opinion On Licensing Software Under GPL ver.2 ?

GPL also known as General Public License. GPLv2 is copyleft license.

Now I will try to elaborate a bit more using software Linux Kernel (yeah kernel is a software):
Linux Kernel is licensed under GPL v2 which means I can get the copy of the Kernel, modify it, add few features & SELL IT at any price, but the great thing is, the same right you have to give it to recipient. They can modify even more & can sell to other. When you sell, you have to give the source code to recipient alongwith binaries. You have to retain copyright notices by original author so you can't claim that the entire code is written by you.

I would like to know the opinion from all CEans about this license. What your opinion about this copyleft licensing ?

On Side note : You know, many CS/IT students struggle to develop last year project. You can simply use the original source code, modify it to very large extent,add few more addons, add more function, add more features, fix it,etc,etc, Mail & tell to the original developer, he will help you even more if he like what you're doing & your project can be dope enough to make your faculty fall in love for you! There are so many Opensource projects which are quite awesome.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Firefox recently released it's Mobile Operating system, Firefox OS. Geeksphone, a spanish company of smartphones is set to launch the Firefox OS based phone named Peak+ which will be shipped...
SmartNaMo is an upcoming smartphone dedicated to the Gujarat Chief Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi. Before you read further, be alert that this information is based on reporting done by mainstream...
Hello my dear friends, I am thinking of buying new scooter. I want such thing which pull some descent power out of it and has no serious care for mileage....
Researchers at MIT have shown that it is possible to introduce false memories into the mind, and they have done so by using the brains of mice to successfully arouse...
Hello everybody, I want information regarding piping engineering sector, courses in this area for mechanical engineers and institutes which offers those courses. I know some institutes like IPEBS , MIT...