Whats the use of dot in IP addressing.

Hi Friends,

When we write an address on a browser, computer translate it into a IP address which is a sequence of numbers followed by dot.
I want to know that what is the use of that dot?What does dot indicate?
How an email address is translated into an IP address?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    There are basically two parts of an IP address

one is known as net id and other is known as host id

In order two distinguish between both we use dot

There is also one sub net id which is mainly used in case of sub-netting
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    goyal is right.
    let me update you with some latest technology.
    ipv4 is a 32 bit addressing format like "22.0.0.0".
    here you notice that three dot's are used.
    but all the addresses of 32 bit addresssing formet is used out.
    so now a day ipv6 128 bit addressing format is used like "1980:0db8:ac10:fe01:0000:0000:0000:0000".
    so what about these dots ?
    what they denotes ?
    And isn't any problem while connecting ipv6 with ipv4 address formet ?
    if yes then what is the problem and hoe it is fixed now ?
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Is it true to say that dot is used as a path to the right server.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    '.' is just a separation between each byte . sometimes its easier to understand the class of address depending on the first 1.2.3 bytes which is again a separation.
    Class A is like - 10.x.x.x so on and so forth

since . or : are just separation operators it should not be making a huge difference in the way the hosts are addressed.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    durga
    '.' is just a separation between each byte . sometimes its easier to understand the class of address depending on the first 1.2.3 bytes which is again a separation.
    Class A is like - 10.x.x.x so on and so forth

since . or : are just separation operators it should not be making a huge difference in the way the hosts are addressed.
    hi durga
    Isn't any problem while connecting ipv6 with ipv4 address formet ?
    if yes then what is the problem and hoe it is fixed now ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what do you mean by connecting?
    I see it this way, any other intutive reasoning as always welcomed.
    IP address is to tag a computer right?
    Say you have two housed A and B
    Address of A: house number xyz
    street number wer
    city rty
    state ttt
    country bbbn

Address of B:
    block number 1222
    suburb aaa
    state

now, if you post a mail from A to B. do you really have to do anything? Yes, the post office should have knowledge of both , but as a user you really wont be doing much other than writing the address as it is right?
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    dot is just a separator between 8 bit binary no.s
    for IPv6 deployment check this out -> Ipv6 Deployment

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys Is there any way to create separate sheets in excel according to value of particular column Say I am creating records of my class mates in which there is...
It looks like IRCTC should immediately get newer, powerful servers and upgrade the technology they are using to run India's Online Railway Reservation System. "Service Unavailable" error usually comes from...
Dear Customer, This e-mail was send by @ to notify you that we have temporarily prevented access to your account. We have reasons to beleive that your account...
Source: Google Apps Update Email Google Docs now has a collaborative drawings editor that makes it easy to build organizational charts, flow charts, design diagrams and much more. - Share...
I'm a 3rd year EC engineer. My query is whether Electronics & Communication engineers can apply for job (scientist/engineer) only in the electronics category? Is there any category called telecommunication...