View Feed
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12763 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
omnix • May 25, 2008

What's the name for this holes?

Hello to everybody!

So, the problem:
I have two microcontroller kits from Infineon (XC167 series), and they work just fine, but...
around the microcontroller, which is soldierd in the middle of the board, there are arrays of holes, connected with the chip pins through copper lines on the printed board, that are intended to provide access to any microcontroller pin.
There's a picture uploaded with this message, so you can see these holes, I marked some of them with red elipse. (Althouhg I don't see any options for files uploading I hope some will appear by the end of this process...hopefully...)

So, my question is:
Does anybody know what type of connector goes into this holes, what's its name (for example if I want to buy it or search it on the internet what should I search for)? If you know german or english name both are good.
I have seen that a standard pin-ledder connector can be inserted into this holes, but it seems to me that there isn't enough copper around the holes, so that it can be soldierd properly (infact, on one board there are some small copper rings, but on the other it's not a copper at all, but some shiny metall) Or am I maybe wrong?

Hello omnix! Welcome to CE 😀

Sorry, we don't have a file uploading feature yet. In the meantime, please use one of the following as an image host:
ImageShack® - Image Hosting - Hosting

Insert the "Hotlink for forums (1)" link 😀

I think the holes that you are referring to are "access holes", used for prototyping purposes. If you see pads on both sides, that means they are Plated Through Holes (PTH) meant to mount components. I believe you can still solder components on it normally.
reachrkata • Jun 3, 2008
Could they be vias ??
Kits normally have all the required connectors for probing signals.

Ashraf HZ
Ashraf HZ • Jun 3, 2008
Yep, thats possible if the hole diameter is smaller. In that case, your not supposed to solder any components to it 😛

Share this content on your social channels -