What's the latest after 3G & 4G? Is there anything like 5G?

Just thought of keeping my knowledge updated. I've heard that couple of network providers in the USA are already offering 4G services and download speeds up to 6-8 mbps. As far as I know, 4G services offer speeds upto 100 mbps.

Is there something like 5G being worked on at present? If anyone knows, please post information about it in this thread. If 4G is the limit, what's next?

Replies

• chandujntueee
    chandujntueee
    There is no 5G yet. Even the APPLE-iphone4(4G) is a disaster . So , keep low your expectations for a few years.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    chandujntueee
    There is no 5G yet. Even the APPLE-iphone4(4G) is a disaster . So , keep low your expectations for a few years.
    Thanks πŸ˜€ I was wondering whether there's any research going on for the next in wireless communication πŸ˜€ . What should we expect after 4G?

PS: Yes, iPhone 4 is a disaster. But since it's from Apple; people will love it anyway. I'm pretty happy with my Samsung Wave.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    4G has not been implemented yet commercially in any country. Those carriers who are promoting it are using technologies that are either 3.75 or 3.9G, not quite 4G yet. Its just marketing stuff, and you know that marketing people wouldn't care much about semantics of technical terms πŸ˜›

Amongst other technical terms, the basic ITU definition for 4G is providing at least 100 Mbps speeds for mobile terminals (any device which will require mobility or hand overs between base stations), and 1 Gbps for fixed terminals. It'll take a few more years before things finalize, but in the 4G realm, we can expect strong competition between LTE-Advanced and WiMAX2 to provide us with these speeds.

5G is still a long way away, but what I can suspect is that it will be more IP based (if not already in 4G), more antenna optimizations, convergence between different technologies and vertical handovers between network areas (PAN, LAN and WAN). Hopefully, power efficiencies would be enhanced even more to give us low powered mobile devices as well as smaller and cheaper base stations. The latter would again give us flexibility in deploying femtocells. I've also read somewhere that software defined radios would make a strong impact by this time, which would mean deregulation of the frequency spectrum (and hence allow more companies to compete and lower costs for us consumers πŸ˜€ )
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! I was bit confused to read that the 4G standards are still being fixed and Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile already releasing 4G. Your post clears the doubt. Thanks! πŸ˜€
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Good to see the Admin starts threads to improve his knowledge πŸ˜€ It helps others too.. Thanks Big_k
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Your post helps a lot!
    ash
    4G has not been implemented yet commercially in any country. Those carriers who are promoting it are using technologies that are either 3.75 or 3.9G, not quite 4G yet. Its just marketing stuff, and you know that marketing people wouldn't care much about semantics of technical terms πŸ˜›

Amongst other technical terms, the basic ITU definition for 4G is providing at least 100 Mbps speeds for mobile terminals (any device which will require mobility or hand overs between base stations), and 1 Gbps for fixed terminals. It'll take a few more years before things finalize, but in the 4G realm, we can expect strong competition between LTE-Advanced and WiMAX2 to provide us with these speeds.

5G is still a long way away, but what I can suspect is that it will be more IP based (if not already in 4G), more antenna optimizations, convergence between different technologies and vertical handovers between network areas (PAN, LAN and WAN). Hopefully, power efficiencies would be enhanced even more to give us low powered mobile devices as well as smaller and cheaper base stations. The latter would again give us flexibility in deploying femtocells. I've also read somewhere that software defined radios would make a strong impact by this time, which would mean deregulation of the frequency spectrum (and hence allow more companies to compete and lower costs for us consumers πŸ˜€ )
  • shahza
    shahza
    hearing about 5G for the first time.. thank you for introducing it...
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Hey can you please tell me what is 'g' in 3g or 4g...
    And is it different in way from IP based communication...??

PS: Please be simple in your word while explaining as I don't have any knowledge about all these wireless communication terms..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Deepika Bansal
    Hey can you please tell me what is 'g' in 3g or 4g...
    And is it different in way from IP based communication...??

PS: Please be simple in your word while explaining as I don't have any knowledge about all these wireless communication terms..
    It stands for generation
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    goyal420
    It stands for generation
    Please explain me something more about it..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Deepika Bansal
    Please explain me something more about it..
    wikipedia can explain you better have a look
    History Of Mobile Phones

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Does anyone know how to add slideshow jquery plugin to blog and also if anyone have a knowledge how to add more jquery effects to blogger .I want to add...
We have distributed the CE Network IDs to the following CEans: πŸ˜€ If you want to get into this network too: See: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...aim-your-crazyengineers-network-email-id.html
Hi! I'm currently trying to amplify the power so that the power from my digital to analog converter can turn/ drive my motor using LM675 as in the first page...
Hi! I'm currently trying to amplify the power so that the power from my digital to analog converter can turn/ drive my motor using LM675 as in the first page...
I just saw the pics sent by CEan Suyash Joshi. Here: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/38250-winner-ce-brain-twister-contest.html#post137671 😁The iPod Shuffle looks so cool 😁 (PS: Damn! I wish I had participated too. πŸ˜› )