What's the expected price of iPad Air in India?

Yesterday's Apple iPad event was amazing! Apple made a lot of announcements and one of the most exciting among them was the launch of new iPad, called iPad Air. It's no surprising; but the new machine is thinner, has 43% narrower bezel and it's 7.5mm thin; which I believe would result into a more comfortable grip on the device as compared to earlier versions of the iPads.

As always, Apple excluded India from their global launch list. While rest of the countries will get the iPad starting first of November, we don't know when will it launch in India. The official price starts at $499 in the United States. Which would roughly translate to about Rs. 30,700 according to today's USD - INR conversion rate. But Apple's not been nice to Indians when it comes to pricing and expect the machine to cost upwards of Rs. 50,000 in Indian markets.

The price point of these new devices shouldn't be surprising to anyone. iPhone 5s is retailing at Apple's partner stores for about Rs. 54,000 for the basic model. I believe if anyone's looking to buy a new iPad, you should better get an older iPad now because the prices of these machines are bound to fall all over the world. Apple reduced the prices on older machines by about $100.

I'm not sure if my guess of iPad Air's price is even close; but all I know for sure is that it won't be cheap. Do share your opinion about the new iPad Air. Do you think it's a gadget worth owning when there are almost equally powerful alternatives available powered by Android?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Apple has the habit of just naming things and making them sound like it’s a big deal. A higher pixel per inch means Retina Display and the A7 is just a 1.3 GHz Dual Core processor. And in terms of a spec sheet war the new iPad Air does not come close to Next-gen Nexus 7. Another aspect of Apple that annoys me the most is that you have to shell out 100 US dollars more for every memory increment. Those memory chips just cost below 10 dollars. You cannot rely on external storage because iPads do not have one. Another worrying trend its range of free apps like iLife and GarageBand which used to be paid apps. To access more features of these you have make in app purchases.

The iPad Air will be a hit because people have always complained that the previous iPads are heavier and iPad Mini might be light but it misses out on a big screen experience. But the prices are still way too high. For a cheaper option to experience iOS 7 and properly designed apps you can settle for the iPad 2 or go for an iPad Mini if you require a high res display.

PS: Why are other generations of the iPad not displayed on their iPad - Compare Models - Apple page?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with you, @#-Link-Snipped-#. Hardware and software improvements in the device are not impressive; but I see that the Retina and A7 chips to drive iPad sales for Apple. They mostly introduced the refreshed model to control their falling market share to Samsung and other rivals. I believe the new naming wasn't necessary; but it essentially gives the buyers an impression that they're buying something totally new!

My concern is about the pricing label they'll stick to the product in India. It looks like Apple's products are the costliest in India.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Apple shall never sell its products at cheaper rates. The expensive prices make Apple products a luxury product. For example if you but a Rs. 16000 rupees 1st gen Nexus 7 it does not give you a flaunt factor but a Rs. 25000 Apple iPad makes heads turn.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The price could very well be somewhere between Rs. 50,000 to 60,000. And people will still shell out that amount because the iPad is getting almost paper-thin! :-o
    I think the iPad Air will be a success because people want to keep up with the latest form factor, isn't it?

But as I keep reading about the whole Apple vs. Android vs. Windows arguments all over the web and also in discussion with friends, I feel that we are targeting a failed argument. Even if we like it or not, they are all relative to each other.

Apple fanboys are upset because suddenly their product is being matched by competitors that they used to lecture about "innovation" and Android/Windows lovers are upset because they aren't being accepted as the awe-worthy product owners. I love Apple but I think Apple fans should expect more from a company on the same old product (with slight upgrades). If it takes a year or two for that to happen (like it used to) then so be it.
  • Rohan Singh
    Rohan Singh
    okay guys , i know the exchange rate is really disturbing the whole electronic market in india , so my question is that how much will a 829$ ipad 64gb wifi + cellular cost in india as i have sold my ipad 3 with the same specs for 28k to a friend and more importantly, should i take the ipad back from him or should i just continue waiting for the next model because if the 64gb wifi+ cellular model will be more then 61900 i.e 10k extra(due to the new exchange rates) i wont manage buying a new device for myself.so guys please help asap
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The iPad Air goes on sale today in 42 countries. Is India on this list? If anyone of you get the official pricing details, please share here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intex Technologies has launched a new smartphone in its Aqua series called the Intex Aqua N2. The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS running smartphone features a 4-inch WVGA LCD display...
The latest goon in the virtual world is the CryptoLocker Ransomware Virus. Affecting as many as five hundred machines on a daily basis, the Ransomware is the threat thats fast...
iBall India has launched a new tablet called the iBall Slide 3G 8072 that features a 8-inch capacitive touch screen with 1024×768 pixels resolution and is powered by the 1GHz...
ok, though everything else works fine, I had an issue while accessing VM. The network adapter 1 ( attached to NAT ) is just fine. But the problem is with...
Hi All, I am interested in understanding what it takes to build a app, which works when is switched off as well? I searched internet but couldnt find valuable information....