What's the biggest obstacle stopping you from becoming an entrepreneur?

CEans,

Engineers are at the core of entrepreneurship. Over the decades, techies have built great engineering companies. I'm quite sure we have many future Steve Jobs, Gates, Page & Brin among our gang on CE.

That said, many aspiring entrepreneurs would never become one because of some obstacle in the way to entrepreneurship.

Let's come out in open and share the biggest obstacle that's stopping you from becoming what you want to be. Let's collectively find out solutions and new ideas that may help in overcoming it.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Addendum:

I'll list out the most common ones below-

1. Stuck in a high paying job.
    2. Can't imagine giving up the current lifestyle for months to come.
    3. Family won't support the decision.
    4. Huge fear of failure. What if I can't make money?
    5. Low self-confidence.
    6. Content with current job/company.
    7. Analysis - paralysis : Too much of analysis.
    8. Finance: Can't start a business without disturbing the bank balance.
    9. Lack of co-founders.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Lack of experience because it is quite important to me.It is major obstacle in becoming a entrepreneur.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    Lack of experience because it is quite important to me.It is major obstacle in becoming a entrepreneur.
    Please explain a bit in more detail. No first generation entrepreneur had any experience in technology or building a business.

[ Examples: Gates, Google & Yahoo founders, Dell, Apple founders et al.].
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Yes sir I agree no first generation entrepreneur had any experience in technology or building a business but if we take a look of current situations if we want to get success then Experience matters Let us leave everything if you take ce website you are well experienced so that you can provide better suggestions to newbie when they ask about carrier decisions now in this case How can i give suggestions to someone? because i have no experience.Today the small mistake make someone out from IT industry.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ goyal : are you talking about a deadlock?
    Experience comes from working, as far as i think, experience should not be a contributing factor for a start up .
    Deligent and careful working procedure should help.

There should be some starting point to trigger off!.

As for me : atleast as of now, i don't have a motivation to start up .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Goyal: If you carefully look at the suggestions, they are all very common sense based; which comes from clear thinking. It's got very little to do with experience.

What you say mostly applies to CE - a forum. But when I started, I knew nothing about running a website or managing/growing a community. Experience only comes when you actually start working than 'waiting for it'.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I feel its job security and not coming out of comfort zone and secondly fear of failure which is very natural if you have a family to support ,which is very common in this part of the world!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    I feel its job security and not coming out of comfort zone and secondly fear of failure which is very natural if you have a family to support ,which is very common in this part of the world!!!
    Job security does not apply to the new college grads. Or is it the high pay package that eclipses them from the world of entrepreneurship? 😒
  • jd3cker
    jd3cker
    I would say current environment. I worked an internship in a corporate environment. While I was there I had little to no motivation and did not necessarily enjoy doing what I was doing. As much as I hated my situation and environment, I had no energy to remove myself from it.

I didn't get hired at this company (thank God) and wound up working for a small IT company, which later allowed me to break off and form a separate software startup. During my time there, I had more motivation than I could have ever imagined. I would (and still do) work around the clock every day. I never would have thought that this type of energy could come out of me, but it does, and I attribute that to placing myself in an environment conducive to self motivation.

Once you're highly motivated and passionate about what you do, other issues (whether they are financial, family related, fear, etc) will not stop you. You will simply find a way.

That of course is my opinion, although I am speaking from first hand experience.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i m 3rd yr mechanical enngineering student. currently i m doing search on projects.......... i need ideas ....... so please help me
hi friends, I am currently studying in B.E I.T & i have just comleted my 5th sem & going to start 6th sem.As i think that 6th & 7th are...
What is the value of the expression (3^6) + (a^a)? a) 3 b) 5 c) 6 d) a+18 e) None I am Unable to solve this Out? Ans is 5...
hello everybody, I want to know if there is a way to plot multiple polar graphs on the same figure using matlab, the function "polar" does not support this ability,...
HI guys, In my friend's Laptop, While Booting time, a message is displaying that "Booting Manager is Not available" and it is staying like that without processing..! What happened to...