What's it like being an engineer?

At CE, we talk a lot about engineering. In fact we talk only about engineering.

If you were asked by someone a question such as: “What's it like being an engineer?”,
what would your reply be?

I must admit I will be stumped. It's easy enough to tell someone what I do as an engineer, but 'being one' is a very different matter.

It is much like when, asking a single child, "What it was like being an only child?"
To which the the obvious response should be “I don't know, I've never been anything else”.

Share your thoughts people 😀

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    I don't know why you asked this question, this question will be surprising for those who never thought they will ever become engineers before they became one. When i got admission in Computer Science i felt how i gonna study those big books and huge syllabus, but after those four years i spent in engineering, today i became able to understand many things which many general people might never understand. One of those things is government is not responsible for any of terrorist activities that becomes succesfull , it is people of India themself responsible for terrorists activities.
    Even the weakly constructed roads never break in less than a year, its people who break them, how much we really implemented town plan in our city etc. Even if there comes any new technology or invention i don't appear as nerd when they explain working of their project though i may not understand all. I never just feel i am engineer, i feel i am better man being an engineer, better human being, an intellectual individual and reponsible man. Today i know how to blame myself when i do something wrong and take responsibilty. When i keep my hands on my keyboard i feel, it is the thing that i always wanted to do, this is the thing i am born to do. I love being an Engineer and I love being a Security Pro.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Leo: That was the kind of answer I expected when I posted that question.

PS: People don't realize that whats it like to be an engineer 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    it can be as simple as fixing you home network , whilst your roomies call you 'admin" 😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    To me being like Engineer is repairing myself all my Electric/Mechanical and electronic devices!
    I have succeeded in repairing my Computer ,Bike ,UPS etc!!

I love the design and I am fascinated about circuits!
    The post I have posted yesterday night was after repairing my bike , so its like being an Engineer to me!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hii to all i`m final year student i`m working in my project which is about wireless electricity there are some difficults i`ve been through my searching i want to know...
Hi all, I am designing a four digit 7 segment display just using IC 74LS90 decade counter and 74LS47 BCD to 7 segment driver. My question is how to link...
Actually i have a silly doubt, As we know our intel microprocessor have 5 flags and 1-bit space is alloted for each flag. Flag register we are going to use...
CEans, I downloaded the latest 10.10 release of uBuntu and had a hard time installing it. The installer got stuck at about 80% and just showed "Ready when you are..."...
Q: When does a person decide to become an engineer? A: When he/she realizes he/she doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker. Q: How can you tell an extroverted...