What will happen if a magnet is placed in between a transmission line?

CEans,

I have an another crazy doubt. 😉

What will happen when a magnet is placed in between a transmission line. What factors will it influence if we place it in between?

Replies

• everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    How is this different than the previous post? Do you mean transmission lines as in power lines?
  • venueee
    venueee
    your doubt is well but you dont mention the which type of magnet it is either parmenent or ortificial...........
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    @Venuee I would be happy if you explain Both Sir.

@everett.Pattison

When we pass a magnet through a pipe with a copper wire wound around it connected to a LED.The LED will glow. Which means magnets will produce electricity. Now the question is what happens when a magnet is placed in between a transmission line.

If it conducts then what are the factors its going to effect?

If it doesn't then why? because when current is applied to metallic strip it will act as a magnet and will it loose its conducting properties after becoming a magnet.(I think No) then where's the energy going.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @Dileep:i believe if a magnet is placed in transmission lines there appear some losses in transmission of electricity
    i think i forgotten the name of the effect but i remember that it leads to emf produces on surroundings of wire and it effects a lot in transmission
    in next sem i have subject on this and i have to go with same subject if i see it i will definitely post here
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Ya I think it must be Ferranti effect but here my doubt is can we use this generated emf to compensate the losses in transmission line.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    dileep k
    Ya I think it must be Ferranti effect but here my doubt is can we use this generated emf to compensate the losses in transmission line.
    hmmmm may be possible let us think of it but i am not sure because it occurs in air
  • maraitamilan
    maraitamilan
    i think only losses will be produced no notable change occurs its just a guess dude
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    @Maraitamilan ok Thanks Dude but some say some magnets conducts and my doubt is if they does can we use them for generating extra power.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    dileep k
    @Maraitamilan ok Thanks Dude but some say some magnets conducts and my doubt is if they does can we use them for generating extra power.
    dileep i think they conduct but they have some conditions of flemings rules and other rules given by great scientists
    so if we satisfy that conditions we can generate as you says
  • lal
    lal
    Lets think of all the factors in this case. Consider only a single transmission line. And a magnet is placed near it.
    Now, current is flowing through the transmission line. whenever there is a flow of current, a magnetic field is set up around it. Since the current is alternating, the magnetic field will also be alternating. And we are having a permanent magnet near it. The magnet is producing a flux too. And it is fixed, that is not alternating. So the alternating flux will now be interacting with the flux generated by the magnet. So I think the magnetic flux by the permanent magnet will be aiding the alternating flux for a half cycle and opposing in the next.

Impact on the magnet
    * May be it will be vibrating at 50Hz.
    Impact on the line (still thinking)
    * May be there would be mechanical tension
    * The inductance may be affected
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    dileep k
    Ferranti effect is rise of voltage at the receiving end due to load drop or no load.
    This happens in long transmission lines.

And, regarding your question, it depends on the size of the magnet as far as i know.
    A line which is carrying power will have emf around it a little bit depends on air and moisture so if you place a magnet near by may be some amount of current flow through the magnet.
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Ferranti effect got nothing to do at here it's just a name given to a state where the receiving end voltage seems to be more than the sending end voltage.Ferranti effect is due to the voltage drop across the line inductance (due to charging current) being in phase with the sending end voltages. Therefore both capacitance and inductance is responsible to produce this phenomenon.
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    If you place a permanent magnet between a TL then there will not be any effect. This is because the permanent magnet exerts non varying uniform magnetic field which wont affect the conductor carrying current as per faraday's law(change of flux only have an effect on conductor).
    dileep k
    CEans,

I have an another crazy doubt. 😉

What will happen when a magnet is placed in between a transmission line. What factors will it influence if we place it in between?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can any body tell me where to get the placement papers for Good rich aerospace
Though single "#" is used to concatenate two strings even in d macros..i.e. try in dev compiler :: #include #include #define delhi(s1,s2) s1#s2 using namespace std; main() { char sh[]=delhi("hello","ceans");...
So i have a trojan that has hijacked my ip and maybe other things. Its a trojan.dropper so its automatically uploading viruses to my computer in the background. Ive tried...
Can you please suggest any books for making me write application program in micro-controller, As I am totally innocent about writing application programs I need to start from scratch, interested...
Scientists have used X-ray computed tomography to produce 3D images of a 49 million-year-old spider trapped inside an opaque piece of fossilised amber resin. Read more: Scientists get a 3D...