What type of data do mobile phones deal with digital or analog?

If it is digital then why phone has modem in it? What about GPRS modem? Because modem is there to convert digital data to analog to transmit it on the analog channel and again converting it back to digital at the other end. So is the mobile phone data analog? If not then what's the need of conversion?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The transmission of data from the mobile phone to the towers is all purely analog as they are easier to transfer

But there are some ADC and DAC processes involved in a mobile phone

So it comes under the Hybrid category in general rather than in Analog or Digital format
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    In general, a PHONE is an analog device. So is applied on a mobile phone considering that mobile phone have only one feature i.e. calling.

If you're referring to the modern phones, there are lots of features and most of them are processed via a ARM processor. However, the actual signals are mostly analog, be it your key press or capacitive touch sensors.

The communication is analog because its cheaper. Setting up digital communication is costlier. With FTTH, at least, the cabled communication is transforming digital. You can expect the digitization of wireless communication on large scale in near future.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In broadband if signal propagation is unidirectional then how it is implemented over the telephone line having only 2 wires?
sir/mam please help me out i m facing problem regarding it and have to submit project within 2 days so please thank u in advance.....
hi all i just cam across this wonderful website: https://www.coursera.org/course/bioelectricity it is free and useful
Hey guys what is the common power op ratings of solar panels available in the market now Really interested in this topic hope to see some enthusiasts in this field...
Can anyone give the link to download e -book I need link for computer system architecture by morris mano and also for java primer by E Balaguruswamy and data communication...