What to do when you find you are in the wrong profession?

For various, sometimes unavoidable reasons, a lot of us end up in the wrong profession - aka the profession we do not enjoy. A lot of people refuse to acknowledge it and confess it for the fear of being called an 'idiot' who 'entered into it with open eyes'.

Has it happened to you or anyone you know? What do you think is the best way to deal with the problem and how to fix it? I've a few ideas which I'll share after a few responses in this discussion.

Replies

• DhirajKumar
    DhirajKumar
    A senior colleague once told me, there are three important things in your job money,satisfaction and growth, and if you are getting two of these,continue!. I think even if you are not enjoying the work and you are growing and making money keep doing. In case if you are enjoying and there is no growth or money, you need to think!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have read , followed and understood that if you are enjoying what you are doing continue. Everything else will follow.

As far as I am concerned I am 65 % satisfied or enjoying with what I am doing.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    The topic is very interesting and relates with many of our colleagues and friends.

It is always seen that many of our friends taking technical course and ending up in any of the software company. One of the main reason is the less availability of employment in core sections and also the increase in competitors.

The enjoyment of the work comes in the way one approach with his or her job.
    Some wants to make money. For them I prefer to say that continue the job if it pays you a lot and at the same time you should be able to get time in needs.

Some work for the satisfaction. For them it is good to change your job until you get a job which satisfies yourself. Along with it, one should also consider the pay that will meet his needs and ability.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

High Performance Computing Service Team of the University of Cambridge has unveiled the Wilkes supercomputer that has managed to secure the second place in the “Green 500” supercomputer rating system...
NASA has started testing a modified version of its existing pumpkin-orange Advanced Crew Escape System at the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory near the agency's Johnson Space Center in Houston. NASA had...
Google has bought Boston Dynamics - the company famous for their 4-legged robots. The news comes just a few days after the update that Google's Android man, Andy Rubin was...
hello friends! i need some ideas abt my prjt (embeded systems),also i need various applications that uses multi node processing,gsm or wifi and beagle boards.
When in doubt, a lot of people would tell you that you should talk to yourself. That's what exactly Introspection is. Talking to yourself. Everybody from every phase of your...