What sort of tracking devices are used in Motorsport field?

Greetings,
I'm trying to figure out and learn more about Global Positioning System and it came to my mind that, how are the cars being tracked in the racing circuit or better yet, a large rally course.

I've been trying to look for information on the internet and strangely, I can't seems to find any regarding usage of GPS in motorsport fields..Maybe I am just bad with googling 😔

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thank you.

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Professional motor sports rely on sensors embedded in and around the track circuit in addition to the car. Much more precise than GPS system and can provide a vast amount of information to the team. Here's a great website & magazine:

Racecar Engineering » Motorsport | Racing | Technology
  • awyongcarl
    awyongcarl
    Ah! Thanks for the info.
    To be honest, I'm doing my Final year project and I have this idea..(Title came from this forum as well, "GPS Based vehicle information monitor system for motorsport.)
    I've done some reading regarding these GPS integrated modules that monitor the ECU via AIM logger and it's actually a video camera as well.

So I am actually thinking..Do these ECU's information are monitored in real-time? Or they are actually just a logger?
    If they are indeed being monitored in real-time (live), how?
    As far as I know GPS signal consists only distances information, can any others information like, from ECU be sent via GPS as well?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Software outsourcing is very developed, and I'm wondering how CAD software develops in India, I'd quite appreciated if someone anwers me. Thanks a million!
In which of the following magnetizing current flowing is more:- (1)Induction Motor (2)Transformer
hello friend's, I have some read about IPV4.In IPV4 protocol there is a basic header.That contains TOL(time to live bit indicator).It helps to detect the corruption of routing table by...
I'm currently working as Sr.Engineer (Electrical pjts) in a reputed Thermal power Station project site. I want to do my masters in distance education mode. I came to know about...
CEans, CrazyEngineers day celebrations are about to begin. As you are already aware, all of us will be online simultaneously to celebrate CrazyEngineers day tomorrow (November 26[sup]th[/sup]) between 5-6 PM...