CrazyEngineers
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberDec 21, 2013

Aadit Kapoor
    Can anyone suggest me ideas on what should i do with my desktop
    Install codecs - Install Flash player - Watch videos & listen songs.
    Install development tools - Start coding.
    Install steam - Start gaming.
    Install gimp - Start pimping your pictures.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Anand Tamariya

MemberDec 21, 2013

Or if you want to get serious, try out Hadoop for Big data and Openstack for cloud.
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberDec 22, 2013

If you're interested in learning 'Linux', I suggest you to install either Gentoo or ArchLinux. My vote goes to ArchLinux!
    Coming to coding, if you're like me who loves interacting with hardware more than managing DB, creating apps & virtualisation, just keep learning C until you master it! Believe me, C ain't going anywhere until another middle level language emerges which can interact with hardware as efficiently as C can.

And I may sound different when I say this, but logic ain't everything. You should've deep knowledge about a language to do some real thing with it. If logic was everything, why don't everyone with computer background can't add patches or colloborate in Kernel or DE hacking ? It's more than syntax, because when you're into C & you're upstreaming patches for your codebase in Kernel, most of it is dealing with hardware & you need hardware knowledge & how it performs to get it right. What I wanna say is, languages like C are not just about syntax or logic, there's more into it & it's called 'understanding of hardware architecture'.

Am I blabbering too much ?
    Cancel
  • gbit

MemberDec 24, 2013

Aadit Kapoor
    I have recently install linux mint on my desktop.
    Can anyone suggest me ideas on what should i do with my desktop
    Just enjoying browsing the system, eventually you will know how the system works and soon you will be able to do advance things in it.
    Cancel
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberDec 26, 2013

Make a list of things that you would do on a Windoze machine. See if you could do that in Mint.

If you can't, then try finding out how to use Mint to get those things done. If you can, then what's the problem, start using the machine as you would want to use 😀

For Gaming - get Steam, and check their free games. If you already have Steam, then check which games have ports available
    Install Wine and Winetricks
    Install VLC player
    Install Chrome

Have a blast 😀
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register