What should I do in linux mint?

I have recently install linux mint on my desktop.
Can anyone suggest me ideas on what should i do with my desktop

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Aadit Kapoor
    Install codecs - Install Flash player - Watch videos & listen songs.
    Install development tools - Start coding.
    Install steam - Start gaming.
    Install gimp - Start pimping your pictures.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Or if you want to get serious, try out Hadoop for Big data and Openstack for cloud.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you're interested in learning 'Linux', I suggest you to install either Gentoo or ArchLinux. My vote goes to ArchLinux!
    Coming to coding, if you're like me who loves interacting with hardware more than managing DB, creating apps & virtualisation, just keep learning C until you master it! Believe me, C ain't going anywhere until another middle level language emerges which can interact with hardware as efficiently as C can.

And I may sound different when I say this, but logic ain't everything. You should've deep knowledge about a language to do some real thing with it. If logic was everything, why don't everyone with computer background can't add patches or colloborate in Kernel or DE hacking ? It's more than syntax, because when you're into C & you're upstreaming patches for your codebase in Kernel, most of it is dealing with hardware & you need hardware knowledge & how it performs to get it right. What I wanna say is, languages like C are not just about syntax or logic, there's more into it & it's called 'understanding of hardware architecture'.

Am I blabbering too much ?
  • gbit
    gbit
    Aadit Kapoor
    I have recently install linux mint on my desktop.
    Just enjoying browsing the system, eventually you will know how the system works and soon you will be able to do advance things in it.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Make a list of things that you would do on a Windoze machine. See if you could do that in Mint.

If you can't, then try finding out how to use Mint to get those things done. If you can, then what's the problem, start using the machine as you would want to use 😀

For Gaming - get Steam, and check their free games. If you already have Steam, then check which games have ports available
    Install Wine and Winetricks
    Install VLC player
    Install Chrome

Have a blast 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Toshiba TransferJet technology is all set to become the next big thing in the close proximity wireless data transmission arena. Toshiba's Japanese website has listed a MicroUSB adapter that allows...
As density of the air decreases it starts flow upwards its quiet commonly know to all of us? But what is the reason behind that,how it move upwards?
Apples have the annoying tendency to become brown when cut and kept. There is nothing wrongwith it except looks. A Canadian farmer genetically engineered his apples so that they do...
The CARMAT bioprosthetic Heart is a superb piece of precision miniature engineering. The first human implantation of this has happened. More here: https://www.medgadget.com/2013/12/ca...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Medgadget+(Medgadget)
In winter in cold locations Electric Cars slow down and have shorter range between charges. CEans can come up with a warm fur blanket (with a hole for the wind...