What makes Stainless Steel Stainless?

Quote:
A common misconception about stainless steel is that it is not affected by corrosion. While misleading, the success of the metal makes this common belief understandable. One of New York City’s most impressive landmarks is the stainless-steel-clad peak of the Chrysler Building. Built in 1930 of 302 Stainless, a recent inspection revealed no signs of corrosion or loss of thickness. The tallest manmade monument in the US, the St Louis Arch, is entirely clad in 304 stainless steel plates. Except for cleaning, the stainless exterior of this monument has required no corrosion maintenance. As this article from Envirotech explains, while the name correctly signifies the rust-resistant properties of the metal, ‘stain-less’ is not 100 per cent ‘stain-proof’ in certain applications.
Endquote

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The penny farthing has come a long way. In Bangalore if this hits a speed hump it may well go into orbit! Quote: A rocket-propelled bicycle has outrun a Ferrari...
I have always wondered about this. Especially after some friends invested horrendous amounts on some fancy audio cables. I honestly could not find much difference between these Gold plated shielded...
Thankfully no Indian airport figures in the list. Quote: Sitting in sometimes-harsh contrast to the airports featured on our Best Airports list we find the following “winners” for the world’s...
I have made the above project for a competition and I have more time and was looking to add text to voice conversion to this, but most text to voice...
https://www.delcam.tv/delcam-video.asp?VideoId=380