What makes a good engineer?

Allan Dale, CEO of Lectronix, thinks a good engineer needs to be curious first, logical second, and have the ability to communicate third. Are these three enough to be successful? Are there other characteristics that are more important?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    An Engineer having curiosity to learn with Logical thinking and the ability to express can make a person good engineer but sometimes a small guess leads to an invention. Now we are living in the world once imagined by someone, so guesses are important too because somebody's dream can become someone's reality. So an engineer with innovative thinking, who can dream, compare with reality, logically, technically having the curiosity to execute his plans with proper communication is a perfect engineer in my view.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The best engineers are problem solvers. It can save some time if they've already solved exactly the same problem, but the latest problem may be different in some way. Good engineers may find a solution based on similar experiences, or invent a totally new solution. They look at the "traditional" capabilities of a system or component, and see new, untapped potential.

The "grammar" of engineering is most easily learned. A good engineer may need only a few days to learn about a new component or technique, and has the ability to apply fundamental technical knowledge within the context of an overall design. Learning the "poetry" of engineering requires much more time and effort, but allows good engineers to incorporate new concepts into original and elegant solutions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There's news circulating among engineering students that Fujitsu or CapGemini may buy L&T Infotech and as a result, L&T Infotech may delay or cancel the joining of newly recruited candidates...
iPhone 4S is now officially available in India starting at a price tag of about Rs. 40k. While I'm not quite sure whether you should go buy iPhone 4S; I'm...
iPhone 4S has been launched in India and the price list is as below - 16GB: Rs. 41850 32GB: Rs. 50250 64GB: Rs. 58650 Do you think the phone is...
Hai I was completed my DCT (Diploma in Computer Technology) before 10 years. I am working in a retail organization. Now am trying to refresh my programming knowledge and to...
Here is a study guide supplied by Maxon Precision Motors, Inc. Brush up on motion control basics and learn more: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27178479/maxon-guide.pdf