what is web proxy server?

Hi guys!

What is web proxy server?

I think it is to allow internal client's access to the Internet from behind a firewall.
Can anyone tell me clearly what it is?

And what is the difference between web server and web proxy server?

Is it a disadvantage or advantage? Looks like a disadvantage for me. what do you say?

Replies

• ecneha
    ecneha
    i don't think there is any disadvantage of web proxy server as its cache can serve many users at a moment and also increases response time as cache sometimes saves the sites in it.

for further details please check the link

#-Link-Snipped-#
    😉
  • lal
    lal
    A little I know about them is that, you can hide your identity(IP) with them.
    In an office or college network they are very famous(really the dearest friends of staffs and students!😉), since we can access banned social networking, video sharing and other such entertainment sites on the network.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    the link given by ecneha is a pretty good one but it doesnt give the complete picture.
    Check this wikipedia link Proxy Server for better reference
    what lal mentioned is one of the most popular type of web proxies, ie the anonymous proxies that help us log in to sites anonymously keeping our isp n location details safe from the other end. Also such proxies can be used to bypass banned websites
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    web proxy is common mode of opening social networking sites like orkut.com
    etc in colleges
    since these sites are usually banned and it is also used to hide your ip ie performing a job of making web server fool 😀
    correct me if i am wrong
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Up to my knowledge,

proxy server is used to share the Internet connection to all the clients in an organisation instead of giving each and every system a internet connection,
    proxy will hides our IP address since it uses the proxies IP,
    proxy increases the speed of accessing the internet since it stores the frequently and recently visited sites in its cache memory,
    It is used to access the blocked sites. But can anyone tell me how?
    Because during filtering process, it verifies the client's request with the blocked sites by the organisation. I think if it is in the blocked list, it sends an error message to the client.

Correct me if am wrong...
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Come on guys..!

I am waiting for your replies..!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have four 3.7V 1400mAh Li-ion batteries that are to be connected in series so as to get resultant voltage of 14.8V and 1400mAH current rating. My problem is that...
Outlook Plugin Beta(drop.io) This Outlook plug-in allows you to select up to 100MB of files and then choose your own custom download URL to share them through e-mail. ...... Click...
hi what does interpolation physically mean in signals and systems
hi electric potential at a point in a electric field is defined as amount of work done in moving a unit positive charge from infinity to that point against electric...
go to this link to download the ce animation. ceicon3.gif picture by vik01ind - Photobucket download & open it in any browser to see the animation. how I end up...