what is transition capacitance?

Hello all, I am Shrikant - a crazy electrinics engineer from Jalandhar. I want to know details about transition capacitance. can anyone please help me? Any kind of help is appreciated.

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    TRANSITION CAPACITANCE
    A reverse biased PN-junction has a region of high resistivity sandwiched in between two regions of relatively low resistivity. The P-N regions act as the plates of a capacitor and the depletion layer acts as the dielectric
  • SHRIKANT CRAZY
    SHRIKANT CRAZY
    well...thanks for giving the answer but clarify me this why the reverse biased PN JUNCTION has a region of high resistivity?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Connecting the P type region to the negative terminal of the battery and the N type region to the positive terminal corresponds to reverse bias.

FOR HIGH RESISTIVITY:
    Because the p-type material is connected to the negative terminal of the power supply, the Electron Hole in the P-type material are pulled away from the junction, causing the width of the depletion zone to increase. the N-type region is connected to the positive terminal, the electrons will also be pulled away from the junction. Thus, the Depletion Region widens, and increases with increasing reverse-bias voltage. This increases the voltage barrier causing a high resistance to the flow of charge carriers, thus allowing minimal electric current to cross the p–n junction.
  • SHRIKANT CRAZY
    SHRIKANT CRAZY
    aarthivg thank you so much
  • lalit.joshi
    lalit.joshi
    i think i should also explain mate..... well, when a p-n junction diode as a reverse biased configuration then the negative terminal of battery is connected to the p side of diode and the positive side is connected to the n side. due to which the the electrons are collected to the n side as well as the holes are collected to the p side. due to which the depletion region is increased which works as dielectric having high resistivity and the whole configuration is considered as transition capacitor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You are invited to online event. here it is(https://www.facebook.com/events/268166303253394/) hey If you like our idea also invite your friends to our opening ceremony. This is the opening of indexing project....
whats can be the changes in present education system in engineering field?
Looks like we've two white phones announced: White Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone to arrive in the UK about 10 days from now and the White Nokia Lumia 800 is expected...
Google Takeout is just the service that you've always been waiting for. Now if you want to download all the Google Docs documents, spreadsheets and PPTs you've stored online on...
Textbuk.in is Pune based startup that lets students solve a major painpoint - high cost of academic text books. Currently the startup offers textbooks for engineering, BSC and Class 11...