CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@SHRIKANT CRAZY • 06 Feb, 2012
Hello all, I am Shrikant - a crazy electrinics engineer from Jalandhar. I want to know details about transition capacitance. can anyone please help me? Any kind of help is appreciated.
@aarthivg • 06 Feb, 2012 TRANSITION CAPACITANCE
A reverse biased PN-junction has a region of high resistivity sandwiched in between two regions of relatively low resistivity. The P-N regions act as the plates of a capacitor and the depletion layer acts as the dielectric
@SHRIKANT CRAZY • 06 Feb, 2012 well...thanks for giving the answer but clarify me this why the reverse biased PN JUNCTION has a region of high resistivity?
@aarthivg • 06 Feb, 2012 • 3 likes Connecting the P type region to the negative terminal of the battery and the N type region to the positive terminal corresponds to reverse bias.

FOR HIGH RESISTIVITY:
Because the p-type material is connected to the negative terminal of the power supply, the holes in the P-type material are pulled away from the junction, causing the width of the depletion zone to increase. the N-type region is connected to the positive terminal, the electrons will also be pulled away from the junction. Thus, the depletion region widens, and increases with increasing reverse-bias voltage. This increases the voltage barrier causing a high resistance to the flow of charge carriers, thus allowing minimal electric current to cross the p–n junction.
@SHRIKANT CRAZY • 06 Feb, 2012 aarthivg thank you so much
@lalit.joshi • 06 Feb, 2012 • 1 like i think i should also explain mate..... well, when a p-n junction diode as a reverse biased configuration then the negative terminal of battery is connected to the p side of diode and the positive side is connected to the n side. due to which the the electrons are collected to the n side as well as the holes are collected to the p side. due to which the depletion region is increased which works as dielectric having high resistivity and the whole configuration is considered as transition capacitor.
5.4k views

Related Posts

@jack Verma · Apr 23, 2009

hi guys i am doing B.s.marine engineering from tolani maritime institute and i want to know the life of the ship engineers are this kind of job are very painful...
1.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 16, 2013

HCL has a series of HCL Me products that it launches with a set of target audience in mind. This time around it has come up with the HCL ME...
1.7k views

@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran · Aug 9, 2013

🎉 UGC(university Grants Commision) has announced that A student who is pursuing a B.sc course can apply for B.Tech and those who is pursuing engineering degree can apply for bachelor...
3.6k views

@xeeshee · Sep 13, 2008

hi, I need you to plz give me final year project ideas related to Communication Systems, Networking, GSM, WiMAX, VoIP, 3G Technologies or Wireless Sensor Networks. Thanx in advance.
9.1k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Feb 4, 2016

Born and brought up in Hyderabad, Phalgun Kompalli hails from a typical middle class family. His dad is a charted accountant, mother a housewife and younger sister is pursuing her...
2.3k views